Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

starter for 58 packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stude2
See User information
what kind of starter fits a 58 packard four door sedan? we got a stude starter but it didnt fit. can someone give us pointers. sorry for the ignorance, but this is our first studebaker packard and we are still learning. know things about studes, but not much about the packards. we need a starter for it that fits. can you guys who have the 58 four door sedan give us help on this. thank you.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: starter for 58 packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
I would check with SASCO (Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corporation), 410 W Sample Street, South Bend, Indiana 46624.

Info: 574-287-3381
Orders: 800-722-4295
Fax: 574-287-3386
Email: dlambert@studeparts.com

They have, I believe, more Studebaker parts than anyone. They are located in one of the old Studebaker factory buildings in South Bend.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Not sure of 58 but 57 Packards and 56 57 Studebakers with V8 and same transmission use the same starter you must use a V8 auto transmission starter with a auto trans. You need to get a parts manual chassis for 58 to verify parts needed the one on this site only covers to 57 on chassis. see this link for a little help on id of startershttps://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/pages/starter.html

Posted on: 2009/6/15 21:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stude2
See User information
we would rather buy a second hand one, they are liquidating their business anyhow this month

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stude2
See User information
we bought from a friend a starter for a v-8 but it wasnt the right one. the nose needed to be a little bit longer than the one we bought. he sold us a 56 delco starter. the starter works but it is not for the car as the car will not start. the engine turns over by hand so i dont think it is the engine. my husband, an ase auto tech got my car running after sitting for 25 years, so he knows what he is doing. electrical? headlights work on it,though i know there is other wiring to the car body. starter was turning but it didnt fit the car. husband said the nose on the starter was about an inch short of what it needed to be.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stude2
See User information
i wish packardinfo had more info on the 58s. i cant seem to get much answers regarding the parts. we did possibly locate a driveshaft in a wrecking yard,just got a phone call today, i put an ad over the midwest section of the country regarding the driveshaft on craigslist and i just might have found one. have to call the wrecking yard tonite. need the starter though too. guy who sold us the other starter might have one in his barn. will see what comes of these parts this week. anyone know the lenghth of the starter for this. might have to measure. we had no problems locating parts for our studes,but this packard is hard to find things for.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If anyone wants to donate any of the '58 Packard (Studebaker) Service Manuals or Parts List then I would be happy to have them on the website.

I think the Majority of 57-58 Packard owners usually end up going to the various Studebaker websites since all the 57-58s are basically Studebakers in Packard badging.

I would be happy to house more information on the 57-58 Packard here, but I just need someone to send me the information.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you also trying the AACA forum and the Studebaker Driver's Club? Except for some minor trim items the car is a Studebaker and it seems you'd have better chances where those folks congregate.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Standard Motor Products (a brand carried by most old-fashioned parts stores) offers parts like brushes and bushings for repairing the original starter, but those aren't always enough. What's wrong with the original/previous starter from your car that it can't be rebuilt by a good old auto electrical shop?

Unfortunately, 1958 was poor sales year all-around for S-P, and lower production translates into fewer survivors AND parts donors. Unless you have interchange information, finding a good used starter at this point in time, may be difficult. However, you might wanna try sending member Pac-manDon a PM as he is really into these cars (and may be able to help find, if not provide you with, a good used starter).

Posted on: 2009/6/16 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information

Posted on: 2009/6/16 16:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved