Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cigar lighter,Brians 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Does any one know anything about the cigar lighter? The one on the dash works fine.The one in the back seat will not work.There is power there since the dash one works in back.The element looks intact,a little rusty in the center.but intact.Any ideas anyone?I don't smoke and wont allow it in the car after the its redone. But all should work. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/16 20:59
 Top  Print 

Re: Cigar lighter,Brians 51
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a standard resistance heating element connected between the center pin or stud and the circumference which is ground. When you push it in, the center makes contact and element heats until hot enough to trigger release so it pops out.

First, check to make sure the elements look identical as to depth. There are different sizes and it is possible the one not working has been changed and isn't deep enough to make contact. If that looks OK, then clean the center contact area well and try again.

If still no luck, then suggest an ohmmeter and check the resistance between center and case. Don't know what it would be but should be very close to your working one. It may have broken under the rust or corroded at one of the connect points.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 21:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you for your reply.I had initally thought to "GENTLY" bead blast it to clean,But figured to wait till more informed.The element is not welded to the case.I figured that to be incorrect but can see no evidence of a weld in the past. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/16 21:49
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Use a volt meter or test light and make sure you have power at the socket. Could be a bad wire or ground.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 1:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Big Kev, As I said before. the other one works in that socket just fine. And ALL the wiring in my car is new.Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/17 5:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Take both lighters out and place on your work bench, use an ohmmeter to research the difference. Use your good lighter as a good example, compare the readings from the good lighter to the bad. Test the ohmmeter first by dead shorting the two leads together. Then go through the bad lighter methodically, comparing each test with the good lighter.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 8:09
-Carl | [url=http://packardinfo.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Will do. I will let you know what i found. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/17 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Another possibility is that someone in the past may have put in a 12V element

Posted on: 2009/6/17 21:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I doubt the element was changed.This has been a collector car since 1968.But I cant get a reading from either one of them.They do look the same.(Element depth ect.)Electronics is NOT a strong point for me.If its not a magneto,or points and condenser I am not too good.I know I am missing something here I just cant find it.As I said before,one works one doesn't. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/20 16:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is readings I get from a 47 6 volt and a 56 12 volt. The values are approximate since at that low range, even the meter cables and probe connections can distort the reading. The black clip is on the metal outer edge and the red point is the center pin-(sorry about covering the 12v--it didn't want to co-operate). At any rate, yours should have some continuity between the center pin and the edge where element attaches. On both of these lighters, the center pin looks like it might have a slot which was crimped onto element and maybe a spot weld on the outer edge.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.72 KB)
209_4a3d5e4043cdb.jpg 961X738 px

Posted on: 2009/6/20 17:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved