Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Will bell housing, manifolds from 288 fit 356?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
I may have an opportunity to buy a used 356 for my Super Clipper. My car currently has a 288 (installed by someone in the past). Will the bell housing, intake and exhaust manifolds, and other engine "hang-ons" from the 288 fit the 356?
Thanks!
Paul

Posted on: 2009/6/22 12:47
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Re: Will bell housing, manifolds from 288 fit 356?
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
No!

Posted on: 2009/6/22 19:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Dallas, Are you certain? I am not questioning your opinion but it does contradict what I was led to believe. I don't know about the bell housing but I was led to believe the manifolds will interchange. I also have a Delco distributor on my 356 which was taken from a 288 or 327 and it fits fine also.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I said no, but I could have said yes BUT. First the 288 is not correct for 1947. And definitely not a 1947 Super Clipper. The 356 engine hang-ons such as starter, manifolds, carb, air cleaner, distributor etc etc. would be different. The part numbers confirm the difference. .Auto-lite ignition came on the car from the factory. If originality is not the concern there is always the Hollander exchange manual which would help in parts substitution. Just my 2 cents from info given. If the price is right buy the engine, they are becoming rare. Only used from 1940-1950.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Better look for all the right stuff: 288 has smaller ID intake runners and can't mate properly to the 356 block which was designed for the flanged gaskets--although the ports will line up center to center. Ditto exhaust manifold, which should also have a four bolt pipe flange. Bell housing will not contain a 356 flywheel and clutch. Distributor does not have the correct advance curve to match the 356 combustion chambers, although this is probably almost unnoticable. 288 Starter probably won't crank the big boy, etc etc. You'll end up happier and with a more valuable car if you do some more parts chasing.

ross

Posted on: 2009/6/22 21:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
Thanks everyone. I'm going to take a look at the parts tomorrow. Hopefully I'll come home with a complete motor.
Paul

Posted on: 2009/6/22 22:02
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
Well, my 356 prospect fell through. Thanks for the input everyone! I'll continue my search for a complete motor (or a donor car).

Posted on: 2009/6/25 21:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved