Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 71

BigKev, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 52 »

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 9th January 2008

Finally, removed the last of the wiring for the aero-drive. This necessitated taking up the front carpet and underfelt to remove the transmission access plate. While Wade was working on his '37 Super 8 I first cleaned out 66 years of dust and crapola from under the seat squab then removed the access plate. This showed the aero-drive and electromatic clutch wiring were both clamped to the transmission by the drivers side rear shift top bolt and by the contacts for the electromatic clutch to the passengers side of the R/1 & 2/3 shifting rods. No wonder Wade couldn't get the harness out!

And of course by taking up the carpet that leads to more work. The floor, while solid and having no holes does have surface rust so the POR-15 Treatment will be applied there as well.

Now everything for the harness wanting re-wiring was out. So after some final tags were made and everything was checked the harness pieces were boxed and packed, together with copies of the wiring diagrams and a note setting out our requirements. The package was then mailed to the wiring harness maker near Melbourne in Victoria about 500 miles south and should get there in the next 1 to 2 days.

A note about the electromatic clutch. Because many pieces are missing I am not, at this point, getting a new harness for it. Instead I am retaining the old harness and whatever parts and fittings that were still on the '41. This may be a long term project once the '41 is back up and running.

After this, while Wade went back to his Super 8, proceeded to remove both left and right hand brake cables and rear backing plates. As you'll see in the For Sale & Wanted Forum the hand brake cables are cactus and of course who was the first to respond? Why Peter Toet of course. In future I'm thinking of installing a hotline to "Peter's One Stop Packard Parts of Canberra" because Peter seems to be able to come up with whatever I want almost before I want it! What a resource.

This was my first major excursion under the rear end and, although I didn't think it possible, there's much more Idaho dirt there than up front. Looks like the potato crop will be a bumper one this year!

No Packard work tomorrow as I have some other matters to attend to.

Picture below is of Wade after finally catching the elusive '41 120 wiring harness, a tough battle but you should have seen the one that got away!

Attach file:

jpg  (24.79 KB)
226_4784959ed58e1.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2008/1/9 1:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 11th January 2008

Just to backtrack a day, on Thursday I took the '38 for a run over to my eldest sons brother-in-law's computer shop at Homebush about a 10 mile trip. On the way stopped and put some gas in the tank and air in the tyres. While putting in the air an old guy passing by commented that when he lived at Blackheath, about 50 miles west in the Blue Mountains in the 20's and 30's, the local bus and taxi company had 3 cars, a Hudson, a Studebaker and a Packard! Also asked if they were still making them now and had to tell him of Packards sad demise in the 50's. Anyway got the youngest sons PC fixed so I'll so be on in my own right and the wife can have her PC back. You've got to allow extra time for the Q & A sessions as well as the reminisces and stories from people whenever you go out in a Packard.

On the return trip from Homebush passed one of the new high rise developments there and a bloke just exiting on a tiny motor scooter waved at me fairly vigorously. Continued on but I could see he was following and then he caught up, actually being a Packard I had to slow down otherwise he wouldn't have caught me! He then motioned me to pull over and being the obliging character I am and not worrying whether there was a serial Packard driver killer on the loose, I did so. He then pulled alongside and said "You're not Wade Hawker, I thought it was Wade, he drives one of these". I advised him I knew Wade and Wade drives a '37 and in fact was working with Wade most week days on the '41. Turns out his name is Peter Code and he went to school with Wade in New Zealand. Continued home and when I arrived and parked the '38 in the Garage it was evident that she was running extremely hot. Will have to have another look over the cooling system.

Also contacted Tony "Shocks", that's the way he answered my enquiry. Tony is the old Italian shock Guy who's going to rebuild the front shocks and we arranged I'd take them over to Kogarah, about 20 miles south, first up Friday morning. Tony gave the shocks visual and hand pumping checks and, although it'll also depend on their internal condition, was pleased. He also showed me the old front shocks from the '41 and especially the c**p that was in them rendering them beyond redemption. However he also said he required the pin or bolt and fittings that locates them to the spindles so he can set them up properly. So another trip to Kogarah next week to complete Tony "Shocks" requirements.

So back to the workshop and into more scraping, this time the rear backing plates. Quite a large amount of good Idaho dirt mixed with oil and grease made this a messy but necessary operation and finished off with Marine Clean. Also started on some other front suspension parts but had to quit at Noon because I had an afternoon appointment in the city. Nearing the end of this cleaning Wade arrived, he'd been out chasing parts and things for his Packards. He also said he hopes to be able to pick up the new fuel tank he's getting made for his '37 120, the original leaks like a sieve literally. Also told Wade about Peter Code and Wade said he went through college with him in New Zealand then met him again many years later when they both lived in Balmain, a Suburb near Sydney.

Monday I expect will be more parts cleaning and when that's done priming and painting. The immediate future is not exactly one that should be viewed in anticipation and excitement as far as the '41's concerned.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 2:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 14th January 2008

Over the week-end saw some '41 hand brake cables on eBay at a Buy It Now price, took the plunge and purchased them.

This morning, after running a few errands, arrived at the workshop just before noon to find Wade at work on his '37 Super 8. He was refitting fuel lines and the fitting, that takes water to the oil cooler, which had been leaking. Wade's now waiting for the waterpump to come back from the machine shop so he can re-install it.

My afternoon was mainly comprised of scraping, brushing and cleaning both front stub axles, knuckle supports and lower locating arms. Also removed, that is Wade and John did one side first, were the lower pivot pins. The Wade and I did the other side as well as removing both sides upper pivot pin bushes. Picture below are before and after of todays session.

Tomorrow morning, before going to the workshop, I'll be seeing Tony "Shocks" again to deliver the upper outer bolts and washers for the front shocks which he requires to properly align them in the re-build.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.25 KB)
226_478b24973a8d2.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (26.75 KB)
226_478b24c66be5e.jpg 576X432 px

Posted on: 2008/1/14 3:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 15th January 2008

Dropped the upper outer bolt and washers over to Tony "Shocks". While there, he explained what he was doing but a combination of his Italian accent and my mechanical incomprehension meant most of it was lost in the telling. Did take some pic's of the dis-assembled shocks and one of Tony. However when I said I'd post the pic of him on this forum he asked me not to so I've settled for a picture of the dis-assembled shocks instead, both pairs.

When I got to the workshop Wade was working on his Holden(Aussie arm of GM)dual-cab ute, He'd had the front disc's machined and was also putting in new pads. Speaking of Wade, this morning I noticed he'd joined this forum and had posted pic's of his Packards in the Owner Registry,
wades_shed to the forum. You could add a history of the '34 from what you told me today. Sure it's incomplete but very interesting nevertheless.

But back to the bench, the drill press, the 20 ton hydraulic press, the bench, the drill press, the 20 ton hydraulic press, the bench, the 20 ton hydraulic press, the drill press, the bench, the drill press, the 20 ton hydraulic press, the bench, etc. etc. You get the picture? Here we were trying to dis-assemble the right side lower locating arm, knuckle support and stub axle but it wouldn't co-operate at all. Everything from trying to remove the upper and sealing plugs on the stub axle, the "cotter" pins for both the knuckle and the stub axle and the roller bearings on the knuckle all resisted to the absolute end. The only things that came out relatively easily were the king pin bushes and these appear a bit unusual being a steel sleeve in which sits a brass bush? Anyone seen these before, 'cause Wade hadn't? Then into the parts washer but not before more scraping and wire-brushing and then Marine Cleaned prior to the Metal Ready and POR-15 painting steps tomorrow. Then we'll be taking a positive direction at last as this part of the front suspension is re-assembled.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.78 KB)
226_478c744b90c1f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/1/15 3:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 16th January 2008

Got to the workshop about 1:30pm after taking my Mum, 84, to Concord Veterans Hospital in the morning for Dementia/Alzheimers assessment together with my Dad, 86, and one of my sisters. Things weren't as bad as they seemed and there is an assessment team coming tomorrow to my folks place and they will be able to advise on community support structures and suchforth. Much like this Forum where advice and assistance is given freely.

At the workshop Metal Readied the rear backing plates, right front lower support arm, knuckle support and stub axle and both steering knuckles. Then brushed on the POR-15 to these parts as well as finishing both front backing plates and both lower torque arms together with some smaller pieces. That was it for the day but did manage to stay cleaner this time, but not altogether as there was paint on my thighs because I wear shorts while working on the '41. Pic is of pieces painted today.

Email received from wiring harness maker that he's received old harness and will start on the new one early February. And tomorrow, if time permits, will be at workshop. If not then Friday morning.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.16 KB)
226_478db5cf5f70f.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2008/1/16 2:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Mal

I am very impressed with your cars as well as the trouble you go to with getting a hold of it and working on it. Really captivating reading.

It must be great to be able to pursue ones hobby and pasion after retirement. I am from South Africa and owns a 1950 standard 8. I am far from retiring (35) but really love old cars and working on them. I was lucky in finding my packard as they are scarce over here. I was interested in reading about your friend Wade fabricating a thermostat retainer? Could you maybe tell me what he used for this as I will have to make one as well.

I agree that one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving a old car is all the attention and questions one get when out on the road. Even in my 1961 Chev truck people are always starting up a conversation!

All the best with your projects and enjoy the drives!

Greetings to all the Wallabies!

Barrie

Posted on: 2008/1/17 7:39

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

africapackard wrote:
Hi Mal

I am very impressed with your cars as well as the trouble you go to with getting a hold of it and working on it. Really captivating reading.

It must be great to be able to pursue ones hobby and pasion after retirement. I am from South Africa and owns a 1950 standard 8. I am far from retiring (35) but really love old cars and working on them. I was lucky in finding my packard as they are scarce over here. I was interested in reading about your friend Wade fabricating a thermostat retainer? Could you maybe tell me what he used for this as I will have to make one as well.

Greetings to all the Wallabies!

Barrie

Barrie,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just trying to make it interesting for all who take the trouble to read it.

I would imagine Packards in South Africa would be scarce and wish you well with your '50. It's also good to see another younger member as most members are of more advanced years.

As for Wade and the thermostat retaining ring, I'll ask him today if he can post a reply to your query in your thread in the Post-War Forum where you also mention this. I'm sure he'll be able to give a much better and detailed answer that I could.

As to your last comment, I don't believe it! Can't imagine a die-hard Bok's supporter ever giving good wishes to the wobbilies, er Wallabies!

Posted on: 2008/1/17 15:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For the post-war cars, most of the Packard part vendors carry those also. I am not sure of the exact year of change over, but the retainer is either just a spacer sleve, or a wire retainer.

Here are links to the two different styles from Max Merritt's website:

Wire Style
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5DAAHV

Sleve Style
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5DAALM

Posted on: 2008/1/17 15:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 18th January 2008

Yesterday rang Peter the bloke I bought my '38 from and arranged to go over and pick up his reamer kit so we can do the king pin and lower support arms bushes. I picked up the kit this morning and while there Peter tells me he has a pair of re-built 4 bolt shocks! Wish I'd known this a couple of weeks ago!

When I arrived at the Workshop Wade wasn't there so I took down the pieces I'd POR'd on Wednesday, look pretty good even if I say so myself. Then did a tidy up of the ice-cream containers holding the dis-assembled small parts from the suspension and brakes. Started then to scrape and clean container by container using the Parts Washer as the last step in the process and got through 4 containers of parts leaving 6 to do.

While doing this Wade arrived, he'd been out chasing parts for the '37 Super 8. The waterpump had come back from the machine shop yesterday so Wade was putting in new lines, filters and gaskets. This was because there were a number of oil, fuel and water leaks probably attributable to the '37 sitting in a museum for the last 46 years with very little use. Once hooked up it took a while before all the air in the fuel system was exhausted but she finally rumbled into life. One small drama, there was still an oil leak with one bolt apparently threaded into an oil gallery so remedial measures were taken to seal this.

No work Monday with the Vampires call in the morning(donation at Blood Bank) and family affairs in the afternoon. So Tuesday it's back to the workshop and king pin reaming and assembly.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.39 KB)
226_47902e8829da3.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (24.13 KB)
226_47902ea5366e1.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (23.34 KB)
226_47902ebf540df.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (26.25 KB)
226_47902ed9bd5f6.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (33.70 KB)
226_47902f0e1d0fc.jpg 576X432 px

Posted on: 2008/1/17 23:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Ja thanks for the very very helpfull info. I will need the spring type, but will have to make it myself. Wade's explanation is wonderfull. It is obvious that that man's got skills!

Because of all the politics with our bok coach and a quota system we are all saying that SA will probably never see the world cup again! So there might be a chance for the Wallabies sooner than later!

Posted on: 2008/1/18 1:26

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved