Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Old topics
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
BH Thanks,
I have the same thoughts about the accuracy of the imfo from the tech. I also wondered how could Packard make reference to something if it did not exist. I'm sure SL 3144 is a great product but, not in this application.

I also had/have the same thoughts as Owen D. that when the cars T/L box's were serviced by the owners and/or especially by a service station regular chassis type grease was used,and probably without bad results.

Auto supply stores in this area don't carry much variety in the way of lubricants of any kind but, I too think a brand name chassis grease "without the requirement to clean first" will suffice well enough.

At least I know now that I don't know as much as I thought about grease. But,I intend to find out and learn about it.

Thanks to everyone who got in on this.

Posted on: 2009/8/28 14:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
No - thank you for the update.

I will edit the FAQ post, downgrading the SL-3144, but direct the user to this thread for details of your contact with CRC's tech support.

Posted on: 2009/8/28 14:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
P.S. - The April, 1955 edition of the Service Counselor advises that no periodic change of the compensator grease was required. However, the unit can be repacked after tear-down and re-assembly by removing a 1/8" pipe plug and installing a grease fitting (temporarily, I presume). This is also illustrated in the factory shop manual.

I can imagine that's how they were filled in production, but it was common practice, in field service back in the day, to fill a grease gun by hand, with a special grease - in the absence of disposable cartridges. Years ago, my dad used to keep a grease gun hand-packed with bearing grease purchased in 5 lb. tubs to lube mower deck bearings.

My point is that the original grease in the compensator would have only (and perhaps unwittingly) been supplemented during routine service if a grease fitting was installed and left in place.

However, I doubt if any engineer ever envisioned that these cars would still be in use over 50 years later. One has to wonder what the useful life of the special grease was. For example, in 1990, I popped the dust caps off the front wheels of a Patrician that hadn't been on the road since 1967, and oil came running out - separated form the soap base of the wheel bearing grease. The special compensator grease had to be a lot more durable than that, but after 50 years...

Posted on: 2009/8/28 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
BH, I also read that about the compensator not requiring changing out the grease and just adding if ever needed.
But,I agree with you, unless you know the real history of your car, there is no way to know what is in the compensator or the condition of it. I believe the least a guy should do is pump some grease into it, until you see clean grease coming out of the blow hole on top.

By the shop manual and looking at the box, it doesn't seem to be too much of a job to get it out. It may be worthwhile to do it.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
On the subject of grease, Amsoil makes an excellent one. Not cheap, but good. Another, perhaps better choice, is the grease used in the final drive of the 1985-86 BMW K100 motorcycles. On that series, the final drive compensates for a change of shaft length with a splined coupling. It transmits all the torque to the rear wheel and slides in and out over every bump. Disassembly and lubrication at 20,000 to 25,000 mile intervals is recommended. It isn't cheap, either, but it does the job. If anyone is interested, I'll look up the nomenclature for the BMW grease. It is high in Molyb.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2009/8/30 0:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
On the subject of grease what is the tried and proven type of grease for use on the speedometer cable. Mine has been erratic so I finally removed and cleaned cable along with fluid drain and refill with B&M fluid to see if it helps with hesitation in shift from low to second. Any recommendations on type of grease?

Bill

Posted on: 2009/8/30 14:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Bill,

You might want to start a separate thread for that one.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 17:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the speedometer, 2 drops of 10w oil in the hole behind the cable drive connection every 10,000 miles. Most speedos probably have never had this done and is one of the reasons speedo needles will start jerking and things eventually destruct .

On the speedometer cable, in the 51-4 manual Packard recommended chassis grease at 30,000 miles .

As I recall, it was recommended by most mfg to apply lube to the lower 2/3 of cable and then insert cable into housing so the majority would be carried or pushed down. The top third would have enough of a coating but excess would not be prone to working out and get into speedometer.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.35 KB)
209_4a9b3fe3157bb.jpg 320X153 px

Posted on: 2009/8/30 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
BH

Thanks but no thanks on a whole new thread for this request as it is not needed. HH56's expertise has sufficiently addressed my question with a plus on the 2 drops of oil in speedo. Thamks to everyone for your reply.
Bill

Posted on: 2009/8/30 21:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved