Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

r1lark, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 49 standard 8 touring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You can't get it off without a proper puller. That is, you can't get it off without damaging it. Some auto parts stores rent the puller if you don't want to buy one, but the last time I seen one for rent was a long time ago, so it may not be available to rent anymore.

That being said, SOMETIMES you can leave the nut loose a little and drive it around the block SLOWLY and get it to come loose. Key word here is "SOMETIMES".

Posted on: 2009/10/18 18:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out the links on this thread for a couple of versions of the drum puller. Another poster mentioned finding one for rent at a regular rental yard.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=35213#forumpost35213

Posted on: 2009/10/18 19:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
I guess I don't understand. One side came
right off. But the stud and the nubs have been ground off so just the drum came off. How are these supposed to come off? With the axle attached?
The drivers side looks untouched. I Have no idea. Does someone have a pic of a removed drum

Posted on: 2009/10/18 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several pictures in the service manuals. Chassis sect 6 in the 46-50 manual and also brakes, sect IV in the 51-4 manual.

The drum fits on a tapered hub and is a friction fit between the hub, axle and also a key. After torquing down the axle bolt, it is a very very tight fit.

Once the nut is loosened a couple of turns (not removed entirely for safety reasons), the puller attached per the illustrations, and given a few whacks with a heavy hammer it may pop loose. Sometimes it takes considerable time, effort and a bit of heat before breaking free. The axle does not move or come out (other than possibly rotate a bit with the hammer blows). The fact one came off so easily and with the ground off studs makes me wonder if something else could also be wrong there.

Posted on: 2009/10/18 19:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
Ok I see now. Thanks for the links and the help.
Now what should I do about the side where the drum was wrongly removed?
When o drove the car home from buying it the brakes were jerky. Could it be from this drum being ground off ?

Posted on: 2009/10/18 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How about posting a couple of pictures of the drum so we can see what you are referring to being ground off. Look carefully for any sign of a crack in the hub also. It could be that someone just didn't torque properly when last removed or there could be some damage as a reason it come off so easily. Once a few people see what you are working with, am sure some suggestions will be there.

Posted on: 2009/10/18 19:45
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
here's the pics. the last guy didn't know how to get them off either. the only problem was he didn't ask you guys like i did.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.47 KB)
1876_4adbc03234825.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.61 KB)
1876_4adbc044b1458.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.65 KB)
1876_4adbc055dea0e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/10/18 20:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
WOW!! If mine, would start looking for a new drum. That one may be serviceable if not damaged anywhere else but proper drums should be fairly easy to come by.

That whole mess should be all one piece. Must say, that was an interesting way to remove it. After the puller is attached to the studs, axle bolt loosened, and a few whacks the hub, drum, will all come off as a unit and you will have nothing but axle and brake parts in view.

As to getting that one off, what holds the tire and drum on? If threaded bolt type then can probably find a puller and screw back in and remove the regular way. If not then bolt & nuts thru the holes and drum to the puller.

Posted on: 2009/10/18 20:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
so where do i find a replacement?

Posted on: 2009/10/18 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would start with the usual guys. Kanter, Max Merritt, Tuscon Packard, Mike Dulinski, or David Moe at Seattle Packard. Believe they are in the Packard Directory. There are several who post here also that might have something. Turbopackman or Packards1 or Craig might be able to help.

EDIT: Was thinking that if nothing bent, instead of replacing if that becomes an issue, it might be possible to place the drum back on the assembly and hit it with a small weld at each of the ground off rivets to restore to normal. Others with some experience in metal working might say if that is a possibility without distorting it.

Posted on: 2009/10/18 21:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved