Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 176

Alvin14, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 49 standard 8 touring
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a almost step by step pictorial of the removal of a rear drum on a Packard. Your car will be exactly the same.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=19369#forumpost19369

Loosen the axel nut, but DO not remove it. When the drum "pops" it sounds like a shotgun going off. You don't want it flying across the room with the puller on it. So keep the nut on, but loosen it until it's flush with the end of the axle. This will give the puller center screw more area to rest on. Once it pops, then you can remove the nut, and the drum.

Also here is picture of the old-school Blue-Point puller that I used (on the right), and a more modern one on the right. The old one is much heavier.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.47 KB)
1_4adbf169e563d.jpg 864X529 px

Posted on: 2009/10/18 23:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote: Here is a almost step by step pictorial of the removal of a rear drum on a Packard. Your car will be exactly the same.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=19369#forumpost19369

Kev,

That's a very well illustrated "step by step".

Posted on: 2009/10/19 3:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
Ok. About the drum that is seperated from the hub, can I weld it together or should I find a different one?

Posted on: 2009/10/19 6:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
if you are having trouble finding a drum (these were high production years) I may be able to point you to as parts car

Posted on: 2009/10/19 8:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
A parts car? Hmmm I could use a drum, hood and title. Tell me more about it.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Since the lug bolts (screws?) will secure the wheel and drum to the axle flange, why weld the drum to the flange? That is if the drum is in serviceable condition. Maybe the way to get around the difficult job of removing the drum from the axle to do work on the rear brakes is to remove the rivets that hold the drum to the axle flange. Then the drum could be removed much more easily; remove the lugs remove the wheel, remove the drum. This would work like the flanged axles that were used on the 1956 cars. Just thinking (?) out loud ...

Posted on: 2009/10/19 9:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would imagine that the hub and drum are riveted together because of the forces in play during braking. The drum is transferring all the sheering and torsional force to the hub, and to the axel via those rivets. The lug bolts hold the tire to the hub, and probably provide another layer of mechanical connection between the drum and the hub. On most two-piece drum/hubs that I have seen if they are not riveted, then the are bolted together, and safety wired.

On more modern style drums, it usually cast as one solid piece which then is held on by the wheel studs and lug nuts.

Perhaps the other reason it has so many connection points (rivets and lug bolts) is because of the thickness (or lack thereof) of the mating surfaces between the hub and the drum.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 12:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As soon as I find a Ford 8.8" rear that'll fit my '48, you can have my whole rear axle for $100.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On Packards before 56, the drums are centered on the hubs by the rivets. Once the rivets are gone, the lug bolts will not center the drum adequately and you will get some thumpin'nasty braking. I have those drums sitting around handy.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 21:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
Ross I am interested in a drum from you.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 22:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved