Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Overdrive Dash Light Color and Location
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
We are installing an R-11 Overdrive in a 1948 Super Victoria Convertible. Have the complete unit. The dash should, however, have a light on it showing the overdrive being engaged. Does anyone know where on the dash the light was to be located, and if so, how large and what color it is?

Probably be beyond hope that someone might have a spare dash with the overdrive light for sale, but if so, would like to buy.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 13:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Overdrive Dash Light Color and Location
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Different dash I know but on my '47 the O/D light is in the upper right hand corner of the speedometer opposite side to the red high beam light. The O/D light lens is green and is the same size as the high beam indicator.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 13:28
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/9/4 13:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm trusting my memory here which isn't as sharp as it once was, but I don't believe you need another dash. At the bottom center there should be 3 small light locations, one for the high beams, one for the turn signals, and one for the overdrive.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 14:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
I was just checking this out on my 48 victoria today. There are three small light holes beneath the temp/ammeter/oilpress/fuel gauges. The left one shows red to indicate that headlight high beams are on, the right one shows white to indicate that a L or R turn signal is flashing, and by process of elimination, I assume that the center one is for the overdrive. Since I haven't watched this while driving, I don't know what color it shows, but the suggestion that it is green makes sense, since red and white are already taken?

Posted on: 2007/10/22 1:35
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
You might want to read this technical bulletin that came out with the introduction of the "new" R-11 overdrive; there evidently was not an indicator light associated with that model.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/48T-33.pdf

Posted on: 2007/10/22 12:37
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I just joined the information site. You may already have found your answer. But.
The R9 used the indicator light but the R11 does not. In fact the solenoid does not have the contacts to energize a light. It only has two not 4. The R9 solenoid will not fit the R11 overdrive. Both of my Super Eight convertibles use the R11.
In fact Packard switched from R9 to R11 during the 22nd series production run.

Posted on: 2007/12/27 10:27
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved