Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Carter Carburetor
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Has anyone here ever taken on the task of rebuilding one of the two barrel Carter carbs that came on the Clippers themselves? I want to know how difficult it is to rebuild for someone with no prior knowledge? I do have the carb service manual as well as a few other reference sources.

That is the next component in line that needs to be rebuilt and I want to make sure I dont get in over my head.

Posted on: 2006/12/31 17:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Carter Carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Not very hard, just don't lose any parts, and blow out every passage, and you should be fine. Easier than a four barrel, a lot less pieces. I'd recommend getting a gallon can of carb cleaner from O'Reilly's, called Berrymans. Pretty good stuff, comes with a basket to pull your parts out with. You definitely don't want to get it on your hands, as it burns like he77!

Eric

Posted on: 2006/12/31 20:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
One thing my dad handed me when I rebuilt my first carb was a fiberglass tray - like what you used to see in cafeteria-style dining. Though otherwise completely flat, the tray had an upturned edge that kept the little parts (and small tools) from rolling off the table and onto the floor (or worse yet down the drain!). I suppose an old cookie sheet would do, but the bright yellow color of the fiberglass tray also made it easy to spot small parts.

Take the carb apart carefully - a little penetrating oil might be needed for stubborn components. Some parts are brass, which is a soft material - easy to strip-out a thread or a slot.

Soaking the carb parts, after diassembly, is a good idea, but I make it a point not to soak some of the delicate parts, the float(s), or the choke stat and cover. Just clean those off with an aerosol carb cleaner.

Also, because the soaking solution and most aerosol cleaners for carbs are acidic, my dad taught me to rinse the parts off with hot water, after they come oout of their bath - then blow out all pasages and dry with compressed air.

Get a new (not NOS) carb kit, stick with the shop manual instructions (especially and tightening sequence druing reassembly), and you'll do fine. Unlike carbs of later decades, most settings can be made with a common set of feeler and wire gauges.

BTW, I am going to pull the collection of sheets on Carter carbs for Packard applications, that my dad kept in his toolbox (years ago as a mechanic in a Packard agency), and scan them for the site. I suspect it will contain one sheet that applies to your carb.

Posted on: 2007/1/1 10:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Kev, I have put rebuild kits in a few carburetors including the WDO-531S for my 47 Super Clipper. All the other posts have good advise. Be very careful using air to blow out the passages etc. Be sure that you are wearing eye protection when doing this. The one Carter tool that very few of us own is the metering rod gauge. I once had a complete set of Carter tools but unfortunately sold them long ago. There are specifications for adjusting the metering rods but luckily on the carbs I rebuilt they must be fairly well adjusted although without the tool I have no way of knowing. Be aware that it is one adjustment that can't be made without this tool so be careful that you do not damage or bend the rods when rebuilding the carb. That little ball bearing at the bottom of the accelerator pump has a little wire holding clip which can be a pain to install without needle nose pliers. Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/1/1 12:25

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys, all good advice. Any suggestions on where to get a good rebuild kit for it?

Posted on: 2007/1/1 16:09
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Any of the major Packard parts vendors should have a repro kit (used to come in a plain white box), but I believe they all get them from Daytona Parts Company.

I would warn you, however, that I once purchased such a kit from a third-party vendor at Fall Hershey for shelf stock and for CASH, but when I went to use the kit, years later, I found parts missing. I could see this without even opening the sealed poly bag, but also noticed the letters "DPC" on the paperwork, which I have seen on kits I purchased direct from Daytona. I really couldn't go back on the vendor, but e-mailed Daytona and got NO response.

I would recommend that whomever you purchase the kit from, check it out as carefully as you can, without opening any sealed, yet transparent packaging, and call them on it immediately if you see a problem. If they don't make it right, let us all know about it HERE.

Perhaps others will have some additional insight for your specific carb model.

Posted on: 2007/1/1 17:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Hello BigKev & thanks for the wonderful website.

NAPA carries a good selection of Jiffy Kits (the one you need may be a special order). Also, if you have a CSAA membership you get a good discount?.show them your card before they ring up the purchase.

John

Posted on: 2007/1/1 18:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is a CSAA membership????

Posted on: 2007/1/2 21:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think he is referring to the Auto Club (www.aaa.com) here in So-Cal its referred to 'Automobile Club of Southern California'. Perhaps where he is from they use a different name. The NAPA here does give you a discount if you present your AAA card.

His advice is good for those not familiar with that discount. Sometimes I forget about it until after I already paid and I am down the road. DOH!

Posted on: 2007/1/2 22:36
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Right Kev, CSAA is California State Automobile Association (the AAA affiliate in Northern CA). I found that the Auto Club discount at NAPA is better than the ?wholesale? pricing I got thru my local machine shop. Just be sure to show your card before the counter person rings up the sale!

Posted on: 2007/1/3 15:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved