Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best main and rod bearings for a 356" engine?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
This winter one of my projects is to inspect and if necessary replace the main and rod bearings in my 356CID engine Packard. It has a dull knock at start up when hot that instantly goes away when oil pressure builds and the oil pressure when hot is not the greatest at idle. I have been searching publications and the net for the best price and I find that they are all over the map. I am concerned that lowest price is usually not the best quality so I am asking what others have experienced with bearings and if a good brand name or supplier can be suggested.

Posted on: 2007/10/7 21:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Best main and rod bearings for a 356" engine?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if these bearings have been reproduced or not, but even 15 years ago they weren't that easy to find in some undersizes. I'd suggest what's more important than the brand of bearing is the condition of the crankshaft; if you've got a slight knock and the shaft if more than 0.0005 out of round or scuffed, it's not going to hold any bearing for very long.

Posted on: 2007/10/7 22:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
"Owen" I haven't got as far as checking the journals for scuffing, taper or clearances yet but that wasn't the question. I see that there are several suppliers; Kanter, Merritt and others, even an E-Bay store but the prices vary by as much as $100 a set. If the bearings have not been made in the US or Canada in some time by big major bearing makers the suppliers are using either NOS or the ones made from offshore (China?). I just thought I would throw the question out and see what experiences others had buying bearings from the known suppliers.

Posted on: 2007/10/8 8:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't tell you where they came from but in the past I've bought sets for various years from Terrill Machine. The engine rebuilder didn't squawk when I gave them to him like he did for some items so they must have been decent. No longer own the cars but at least 2 are still in area and as far as I know, no problems.

Posted on: 2007/10/8 11:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks, Terrill advertises in the PAC news letter for years and their prices are about as low as I can find so maybe they are the people to go with, Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/10/8 18:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I would wait for Packard bearings in the Packard boxes. They show up often, I saw several sets at Hershey this year.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 8:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Joel, I did get a good deal on a set of good American made mains but still need rod bearings. I was hoping you would have a set of .002 undersize?

Posted on: 2007/10/20 8:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved