Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: The Packard Institute's 1949 project
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

The Packard Institute, Inc.
See User information
Thanks cortcomp. Any recommendations on where I can find a 6V battery? We'll see if that old girl turns over after 25 or so years.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

The Packard Institute, Inc. wrote:
Thanks cortcomp. Any recommendations on where I can find a 6V battery? We'll see if that old girl turns over after 25 or so years.

I don't know how you find them, but there are at least several threads on here regarding all the things to watch out for/test/check/refill/replace/adjust/do or not do when attempting to start a Packard that's sat for a long time!

Turbopackman is a good one to PM or ask, e.g.....

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Before you go to start it, drop the oil pan and clean it out completely. Also, clean out the screen and oil pickup tube. This little bit of insurance is the best thing you can do to your engine.

If you're just going to see if it starts and not let it run for more than 30 seconds or so, you can pull the fuel line off the carb and hook up a small can to gravity feed fuel to the carb.

As for the battery, try a tractor/farm store, that's where I found my long 6V battery. Most auto parts stores can probably order one for you, as they are still available.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I purchased mine from NAPA to fit the stock long battery compartment, was around $100 if i recall. Took 2 days to get in.

Also, in addition to Eric's great advice, check the rear end fluid before going on a long drive. Our pinion seal was leaking slightly but was almost bone dry after 10 years! I've since refilled it the day i got it and it's held since.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
before starting anything thats been sitting, i always like to pull the spark plugs and put some marvel or engine oil in to lube the walls and valves. I would also, after oiling, turn the engine over by hand a few times.

cleaning the oil pan and pickup screen is a good idea as well.

replace all the fluids and filters, and keep a fire extinguisher handy for the first starts.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 16:00
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Salient advice all.... and I'll get that fire extinguisher. I was down in Orlando looking at another '49 last month. The seller must have added a bit too much primer, as flames leapt six feet in the air when he cranked it over and the air filter caught fire. Pretty impressive. Anyways - we flatbed her up on Friday. I will youtube all major operations for the blog.

I just hope we're not blown six feet in the air.

Say cortcomp, if you find yourself in the Akron area, it'd be great to have a Packard person help me and the kids sketch out a preliminary plan of action. 330.762.4357

Posted on: 2010/1/13 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Say cortcomp, if you find yourself in the Akron area, it'd be great to have a Packard person help me and the kids sketch out a preliminary plan of action. 330.762.4357

Just an hour away, if that. And i always need an excuse to hit Talmadge so i can stop at summit and load up on some goodies :)

I'd have no problem meeting and looking over the car and offering advice. The best thing with any new project is to decide what you want your end goal to be (driver, beater, 50 footer, show car, runs great with mods or totally original), and then plan in stages from there.

I agree with others, this is a great engine and car to learn on, and there is great support here.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 12:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
cortcomp that sounds terrific. I'm on my way down into Amish country right now to trailer her up. Regrettably, she'll temporarily be outside now at www.thepackardinstitute.com (covered) until such time as we secure garage space to work in - but anytime you can swing over it'd be great to lean on your experience.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 12:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
We snap the first of three tow cables trying to drag those old girl out of storage. The front wheels remained stubbornly frozen. We may have punctured the radiator at some point. As fluid gushed out I was feeling cold and despondent... "What have I got myself and the institute into?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OnGrih7Lmko&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OnGrih7Lmko&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and finally she sees the light of day... for the first time since the 1980s!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE3DKwlGKIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE3DKwlGKIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2010/1/17 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those are some stubborn wheels for sure but the car looks great. Hopefully, the radiator wasn't damaged as they are a bit pricey to repair but then I would look at it this way--The car had been sitting for 25 years and in all likelihood, it would have needed some work or to be replaced anyway.

I'm just afraid with the brakes frozen like that the wheel removal will be very difficult. Be careful, take your time and let us know what is happening. Am sure there will be suggestions as to procedures that might help.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 10:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved