Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1958 Packard Hawk Serial Number
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
There's a '58 Hawk for ssale on ebay with S/N 58LS1131. This serial puts it as a '58 Sedan, the Hawk S/N should be a 58LY I think. Has anybody got any thoughts as to whether this is a legitimate Hawk, or are people converting Sedans to Hawks? It has the supercharger, and the body sure looks like a Hawk. Could be in the final days Studebaker wasn't following the designated serial prefixes. HELP!

Posted on: 2010/1/16 10:28
 Top  Print 

Re: 1958 Packard Hawk Serial Number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Looks like this inquiry was reposted with addit'l info in another thread, (by same author):

'58 Packard Hawk Serial Number--Real Confusion

...where it got answered.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I was just in contact with a fellow who wants to give me a 58 hawk. It has no running gear and I am not sure what parts are left on it. His description was 'rough as a corn cob. I am going to look at it tomorrow. All I have to pay is the towing bill. Once I get the pictures and post them, if any one wants it for parts for the same towing bill we can work out a deal for transport.

ALK

Posted on: 2010/10/25 19:22
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kelly
See User information
58LS-1131 is the VIN

58 = 1958

LS = Packard.

1131 = Numerical Sequence of Assembly for all 1958 Packard's (Packabakers).

The body code would be 58L-K9 followed by a specific number(s) for this particular Hawk. (1 thru 588).

588 '58 Hawk's were assembled.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 15:27
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
OK,

I'll try this again. I'm new here and has just posted a response to this thread that included an annotated photo of an actual Packard Hawk vehicle number plate. It didn't show up. Not sure why.

The Packards produced by Studebaker-Packard in 1957 and 1958 have very simple serial numbers. The first two digits are the year; the first letter - "L" - designates the car as a Packard instead of a Studebaker; the second letter designates the model - in this case "S" for Hawk; and the last four digits designate the production sequence. The first of the last four digits - "1" - is a dummy digit and really doesn't mean anything; it's the last three digits 001 through 588 that designate the actual production sequence of the vehicle. In the example cited above, the vehicle is a 1958 Packard Hawk #131 of 588 made.

The paint number, trim designation and body style are not included in the serial number.

I've attached a picture below that explains this, but haven't yet figured out how to get pictures posted to this forum to display in large format, so I've also posted a link below to a test post on my own forum (I'm a home inspector and host a webzine for home inspectors). When you click the link below, it will not take you to that forum but it should open the photo to a decent size so that you can save it in your pictures file.

http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/pop_img_preview.asp?usersImgPath=http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/uploads/hausdok/tn/tn_20118415202_HawkSerialNumberPlateExplained1.jpg

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, WA

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/8/4 13:01
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hi Mike and welcome. Although small--only 4k--, the picture showed this time so you must have figured it out. Around 50 to 400K gives a good viewing size and decent download speed. The usual reasons for a failure to show are the file is too large, wrong format or forgetting to attach the file before submitting the post. I believe in the past, there was also a mention of something about an illegal character in or length of the title that could also cause problems. Hopefully, now you are on a roll and will keep them coming.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 13:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Hi Howard,

Thank you for the gracious welcome and explanation. As you can see, I've figured out a work-around that seems to work. I'll do my best to contribute here when I can; but I'm here mostly to try and make myself smarter about these cars.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, WA

Posted on: 2011/8/4 13:49
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mike,

to PackardInfo.

Furthermore I invite you to include your 57 or 58 Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 1:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Hi Mal,

Thanks, if I finally do achieve that 40-year old dream I will. For 25 of those years, before I finally got onto the internet, I was only able to learn snippets about these cars and I'd never seen one. Since the advent of the net and Google, I've been doing the best I can to imitate a sponge. I'm currently considering a purchase.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/8/6 9:47
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Mike O'Handley wrote:......if I finally do achieve that 40-year old dream I will....... I'm currently considering a purchase.....
Mike,

Sounds much like me, for 40 years I wanted a Pre-War Packard and finally realised that dream about 4 years ago.

Wish you well with your considered purchase.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 20:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved