Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

srtaight 8 HEI conversion???
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
Has anyone done a conversion to HEI for the straight 8 Packard engines?? I have a 36 3 window thats been converted to 12 volt with a 52 288, I have a edmunds 2x2 that I plan on putting on once my back is healed from this last surgery. Also plan on making some headers to run dual exhaust, later engine mods will come as time and money and healh return.

Posted on: 2007/10/23 13:45
 Top  Print   

Re: straight 8 HEI conversion???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Watch for an answer from Turbopackman. Eric has done just that for the V8, and I believe he said it was even easier to accomplish with the straight eight.

Posted on: 2007/10/23 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Straight eights are easier than the V8's, by far. All you need is an HEI unit off of a '70s Pontiac, and use the original lower shaft from the stock Packard distributor. You just drive the pin out of the Packard shaft to get the lower part off, then cut the Pontiac shaft to the appropriate length. You'll also need to turn down the lower housing on the Pontiac distributor, then have a sleeve machined to fit into the engine block of the Packard. I used the lower bushing on the discarded piece of lower Pontiac housing to connect the new sleeve to the Pontiac upper housing. The Pontiac is the best way to go, as it's already the correct rotation. If you have any questions, and I'm sure you do, feel free to ask.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 2:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric,

Maybe you should offer a conversion service. They send their original to you, and you send them back a HEI converted one.

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 15:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
Thanks Eric. I will be back in touch with you as soon as the Dr. gives me the ok to do car work again so I can go find a pontiac HEI. I will have lots of questions but at least you have me pointed in the right direction.
Thanks again.
Jack

Posted on: 2007/10/24 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric,

Maybe you should offer a conversion service. They send their original to you, and you send them back a HEI converted one.

Just a thought.

Kevin, I've offered this service on the Packard Engineering website for over two years, and as yet, no one seems to want one for either the straight eights or the V8's. All I need from the straight eights is the lower shaft, and for the V8's all I need is the lower gear. It's gets a little pricey as I use a rebuilt distributor with new parts as the foundation, and it runs close to $300 for the complete, drop-in deal. It's a little more than one would spend doing it him/her self.

Pandamarie, let me know if you need anything, as I check this site daily and will respond quickly, although it will always be after 11pm CST weekdays.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 0:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Eric, Is this a conversion for 12V only or is it able to be adapted for 6V systems. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/10/25 7:14
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Good point Peter, it is only 12V, as I'm basing it off of a '70s Pontiac distributor.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 9:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ben Thielbar Jr.
See User information
How much does this improve Economy and reliability, I hear at high speeds the early HEIs were subject to failure?

Posted on: 2014/11/22 1:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Ben, Please note that this thread occurred more than 7 years ago. Turbopackman has not been a regular on this site for several years. If he is lurking he may respond otherwise perhaps others who have some experience with this conversion will assist.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 10:40

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved