Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Work On the 1953 Derham Formal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
If any one is interested, I will post my progress on the Derham. This is a completely unmolested, virgin car as far as its components are concerned. I will be happy to photograph any part of the car that may help someone put their car back together correctly (the question about the routing of the battery ground cable comes to mind). As I get into it perhaps the various approaches and opinions to bringing an engine and drive-line back to life after twenty-eight years might be fun to get into here.

I was able to get the plugs pulled on the Derham last Friday. Yesterday I hit the Packard Holy Grail; I finally very carefully got the glove drawer open and inside was the owners manual and this~

Included is Owner's Service Policy, Packard Owner ID,Packard Lube Plan, General Tire Plan and a 55-56 insurance card. Now know date of delivery Feb 28,1953.

Tomorrow morning I will be bringing in the compressor to fill the tires and get the front of the car up on jack stands.I will then take torque wrench set at 40 ft/lbs and try to gently turn vib damper bolt. Plan on spritzing a good amount of Deep Creep into the plug holes.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.51 KB)
2260_4b908d996ea9a.jpg 483X1024 px

jpg  (39.78 KB)
2260_4b908fc550e1d.jpg 602X400 px

Posted on: 2010/3/5 0:01
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Re: Work On the 1953 Derham Formal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Stephen,
for your offer for us to follow along with what you're doing on the Derham.

And a suggestion, it might be better to have this thread transferred to the Project Blogs Forum? If you'd like to do so just yell and BigKev, our intrepid Webmaster, can tickle his keyboard accordingly.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 3:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Nathan Oppenheimer Jr. I searched the name to see if he was any relation to another famous Oppenheimer.

Looks like Jr and the Mrs took a cruise on the Caronia to the south pacific in 62.

But other than that not really any info online.

Buddies treasure is always fun! Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/3/5 8:57
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks Mate.It was getting late last night and I guess I missed the Project Blog section. Please move it over to the appropriate place.

This afternoon the front of the car will be airborne. Beautiful sunny day today. Looking forward to getting started.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 8:57
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks FatMike. I will eventually get down to the Surrogates Office and pull Nathan's probate file. I think the estate sold the car to the late owner (who was an attorney).

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:02
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If any one is interested, I will post my progress on the Derham

Certainly we're interested!!

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:40
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As requested....Topic moved to the Project Blog forum.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes indeed! please post pictures and comments on your progress. And congratulations on a unique and rare automobile.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 14:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I don't have my card reader with me so no new images. Today brought in the compressor and filled the tires. All four still had 10-15 lbs each in them. The stem valves were frozen so I used my valve stem tool to start moving them around and the tires all now have 28 lbs each. Tightened the stem valves and things appear jake.

Pulled the plugs again (had gotten them free last Friday). Jacked up the car and put the Hein-Werner 5 ton jack stands in place. Then got under the car for the big deal.. Socket on balancer bolt and nothing. So, plenty of Deep Creep down the plug holes angling toward pistons and the bore. Two of the battery cells still have fluid up over the plates. Will top off with distilled water and put it on trickle charge for four or five days to see if I can get the plates excited,then start charging at six volts. I have got a feeling this battery is going to come back.

It appears the car had been undercoated, which is now coming off, and the floor pan appears solid. The car has the Easamatic brakes, but bugger all what a --- up place to put the master cylinder.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and any advice on the above greatly appreciated.

And O_D, thanks again for the production info.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 21:28
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Stephen

Occasionally, in the late '60's - early '70's, my family had reason to go to the Buffalo Airport. We always took Transit Road at Spring Brook coming from East Aurora.

Being interested in cars, I checked out all the garages and used car lots along the way. I recall seeing a '53 Patrician with the Derham padded top at one of those garages then. I don't recall it's color, seems if was either black or gray.

No way to tell if it's your car I saw then, I hope so, nice to know at least one of the interesting cars I saw back in those days survives.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/3/5 22:15
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved