Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 41

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Work On the 1953 Derham Formal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Worked on the Formal today. Freed the throttle linkage with Deep Creep. More Deep Creep down the plug holes. Pulled the battery, filled it with distilled water, and put it on a slow overnight charge. Keeping my fingers crossed the battery will come back. It is percolating real nice and taking 4 amps.

Cleaned, swept and vacuumed the floor around the car and put the front end up on 5ton jack stands last week.

Tires still holding the new spring season air pressure. Nothing like fresh air in the tires. I have also been Deep Creeping control cables, door handles, etc. Today the vent controls moved like they were new. Prior to today they wouldn't budge. No luck yet with trunk lock. Been hitting that with Deep Creep for a month. All this being done while I try to keep my patience waiting to get that first turn on the balancer bolt.

Also made some new photographs and will post soon.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 22:26
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If the battery is old and/or weak then get a new battery. Cause if it wont hold a charge or wont take a full charge, then the generator is going to keep trying to charge it at a high rate and over time that possibly will kill your Generator and/or Regulator. Then you will need to have your generator rebuilt, and still need a new battery. Best to just get the new battery now.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 23:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Kev,

Good point on the battery, thanks.

My plan on the battery- I want to see if the battery will come back for one reason, to use it to crank the engine with the plugs out to start oil circulation after I, hopefully, get it to turn by hand. That way I can keep putting the battery back on the charger after a oiling session without having to worry about reverse polarity, etc. Not to mention possibly ruining a good new battery on just cranking the engine.

Plus I need something to do while waiting for the Deep Creep to work in the cylinders.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 9:00
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Stephen, another method of applying force to get the engine to turn over, and one that has the advantage of keeping a constant applied force, is to use compressed air into one of the cylinders where the piston is neither at TDC or BDC and both valves closed (as in partway down on the compression stroke). This is quite similar to the way auto shops do cylinder "leakdown" tests except there of course they are blocking the engine from turning. Make a compressed air adapter from an old broken spark plug shell, braze a quick-connect air line adapter, and go fishing for a suitable cylinder to pressurize. No recommendation on pressure but since the cylinder/piston, gasket etc. is built to take the force of the combustion detonation, I don't think it's much of a concern within reason - perhaps something like 100 psi.

A few more thoughts. Of course you'll have loss of pressure at the rings and perhaps the valves, so you'll have to keep the compressor running, and of course you'll also be pressuring the crankcase with leak-by from the rings, so remove the crankcase oil filler cap, and it might even be a good idea to remove the carburetor and air filter as, depending on the leakage from the valves you might get some pressure at those points.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I had realized a while ago that trying to spray the Deep Creep into the plug holes at an angle wasn't getting it to the bore. At least the valves have gotten a good soaking.

So first I tried using a angle straw and the DC blew back because of the flex elbow in the straw. I stopped at a hardware store yesterday and bought three feet of clear plastic 1/4"hose. To get it pliable enough to snake into the bore, I put the hose next to a quartz work light and got the hose hot. I then "intubated" the cylinders and have been able to get DC into the bores excepting #2 and 8.

How have other folks approached getting the penetrating oil into the cylinder bore?

Otherwise I am getting more moving parts moving with the Deep Creep with notable exception of the trunk lock and brake pedal. Also cleaned and arranged the garage more to my liking for working on the car and took the tarp completely off of it. Will post some new images tomorrow at some point.

Posted on: 2010/3/17 23:31
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'm pretty sure this is the building of the dealer that delivered your car.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.41 KB)
129_4ba231227a97e.jpg 650X484 px

jpg  (90.13 KB)
129_4ba2313abd2e2.jpg 650X484 px

Posted on: 2010/3/18 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Stephen wrote:
...How have other folks approached getting the penetrating oil into the cylinder bore?

Why not just pull the cylinder head? It is an easy job to do and then you will know the condition of the bores for sure.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/3/18 11:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Yes, that is it. I had posted some info and an image of the building back when at the Packard dealers section.

Here is some info from December 09. The building has been rehabbed into apts.

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/12/packard-building-brings-award-to-regan-development.html

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/06/packard-apartments-ribbon-cutting-today.html

and Packard Cleveland, though not that well thought out. At least the building was saved.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.500759,-81.62168&spn=0,359.98455&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.500672,-81.621676&panoid=qVWYwqyEmyKC_dVgZv5iig&cbp=12,61.88,,0,-16.56

The Derham as it sits in the owner's garage is about two miles from its originating dealership.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 17:52
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Quote:

Stephen wrote:
...How have other folks approached getting the penetrating oil into the cylinder bore?

Why not just pull the cylinder head? It is an easy job to do and then you will know the condition of the bores for sure.

(o{I}o)

If this was my car I would be disassembling it. I am doing this for the widow of the late owner as it will be for sale soon. This is the first Packard I have had the opportunity to work on and I am loving every minute of it. It really hurts that it isn't my car especially on what I have done to identify the car and its history.

Ah, well.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 21:37
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I am happy to report that I am now the owner of the Derham. After going through an eBay auction and showing the car to one the Packard side of the family Sunday I decided to see if the owner would accept what I could offer for the car. I made the decision Wens night driving home from a Geneseo Air Show planning meeting. I have wanted a Packard since I was ten years old. I never figured it would play out this way; hot rats.

I just bought the car. I feel the same way I did after I got my first B17 flight in "Texas Raiders" in 1981. I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience with me and in the gracious manner in which it was delivered.

I would also like to invite everyone to bring their Packard to the Geneseo Air Show July 9, 10, 11th, Geneseo NY. We have an antique/ vintage car show every year as part of the airshow. The owner and one guest are admitted free to the show. There will be at least four P51s on the field this year.

www.1941hag.org

Regards and yes Mal I am registering the car now.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:33
Stephen
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved