Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

Joe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Swap Meet - Canberra Australia
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
John, with regard to the Daimler, the built in jacking system consisted originally of 3 hand operated scissor type jacks attached to the chassis. I have one of the three jacks and am soaking it in diesel at the moment to free it up. I don't have any info on the Freestone and Webb body building company. I am not very impressed with the body as they have used ply under some of the main timber bearers. It has started to delaminate and it would have been much better to have used a suitable solid timber.
Daimler also had the habit of encasing their wiring looms in metal. Unfortunately they used a type of aircraft industry wiring which falls apart when it gets involved in too much water. When I got the car there were a number of wiring issues ( cross -feeds and shorting inside the metal conduits). It came to a head when I went to the April 2007 Packard National Tour in Toowoomba. The Daimler was in the driveway at the office. Daimler had also run the main Positive battery lead beside the fuel line, inside the chassis rail. The battery lead shorted on the fuel line, burnt through the line and fused the 10 mm ( three- eighth inch) battery lead. There was 20 imperial gallons of fuel in the boot and fortunately the car was pointing uphill at the time. I have had a fair bit of rewiring to do as it toasted the main loom ( inside the chassis- of course). The Daimler was easily the cost of a Packard 12 when new, but is a very different kettle of fish in terms of driveability and maintenance. Peter

Posted on: 2007/10/30 20:51
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Re: Swap Meet - Canberra Australia
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Mal, I am picking up the rotary engine powered pump tomorrow morning and it is a "Sachs". I have done a bit of research and if you asked me the same questions again I would say yes, it is from an NSU. This is because Felix Wankel invented the engine, but it was a radical change to a rotary compressor which NSU used as a motorbike supercharger in the early 1950's. Well done Mal. Peter

Posted on: 2007/10/31 0:44
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved