Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

wood graining
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Okay My son just got the dash blasted and primered. So wanting to do most of this himself any ideas on how to do wood graining?

Attach file:

jpg  (122.16 KB)
2192_4ba19045bf04c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (114.38 KB)
2192_4ba190bdb5f6f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/17 21:32
 Top  Print 

Re: wood graining
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I don't know anything about wood-graining but I do know that it's great to see a younger guy tackling this kind of project. I'm sure a lot of folks around here would love to see this project unfold and cheer your son's progress in the project forum (hint, hint!).

Posted on: 2010/3/17 23:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Faux painting is a true art. I speak from experience as my Mrs. does this and veneer work. However, you CAN make a decent example on your own. Check out woodgraining.com. Research your grains first though. As each requires a different method. Also it would be good to know the burl of the original. Owen may be an expert there.

My suggestion would be to first practice extensively on a piece of curved sheetmetal that's been primed accordingly.

Posted on: 2010/3/17 23:18
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There are many methods. The simplest and cheapest to do at home is as follows.

Paint the object beige. Get some artists colors or printer's ink. Smear it around with a feather, rag, or graining tool. If it looks good, fine. If not wipe off and try again.

When it looks good let it dry then spray on clear coat. For door window surrounds that get a lot of elbow rubbing give an extra coat.

There is an art to it. You will have to practice to get the hang of it, and develop different grain patterns. But that is the basic idea.

A web search, or visit to the local library should turn up some books on wood graining and faux finishes. How about a fake marble dash board, or possibly jade?

Posted on: 2010/3/17 23:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you will give me an email address-I will send you a step by step method. It is not difficult-it takes time several days-

David

Posted on: 2010/3/18 9:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
One more option... see if your local library has a copy of this:

Painting & wood graining [videorecording]
Vagedes, Fred.
Publisher: Collector Car Restoration Video, Inc.,
Pub date: c1992.
Pages: 1 videocassette (89 min.) :
Item info: 1 copy available at Grandview.
Dewey Decimal: 629.2872 P166A

This is part of a series of restoration videos that gives a very good visual overview of the woodgraining basics described by Rusty O'Tool.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 10:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Try this link to a discussion on this topic from 2008. I included an article I scanned on how to do this from a Classic Auto Restorer Article.

Click on the pictures of the article to get them to a readable size.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 16:46
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
David my e-mail address is ajpheating@sbcglobal.net and Thank you

Posted on: 2010/3/18 23:14
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Scott, Thank you I and he appreciate the encouragement. Mike, Rusty, JD and Portland duly noted on the practice, and thanks for the tips.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 23:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I am so pleased to see your son digging into this project. Sounds like you have some good tips on the wood graining. How did you fellows come out on the engine / trans. with the previous owner?

Posted on: 2010/3/19 2:44
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved