Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: wood graining
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
we have yet to discuss it with him but I was wondering what would be a good price to pay for it? any ideas? And yes he is really digging in now that the weather is nice. Thanks,
Aden

Posted on: 2010/3/19 22:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Well, that is hard to say. I have seen prices from free, to $500 to thousands depending on condition. I would hope the fellow would be extra fair considering he did sell the car it went in. Especially considering a young fellow is taking interest in the preservation of this car. It seems so strange to sell separately in the first place. I can sure see how he could get more $$ by doing this. Kinda like the Johnny Cash song... one piece at a time.

With that said, I guess $500 to $1500 is in the ball park. Really, the convenience of it being local and going with that exact car is worth something.

Keep us posted, maybe even pictures if you can (curiosity I guess) and we will try to help.

Your son reminds me of me a long time ago. It is amazing how those early beginnings turned into a life long career in may case. I hate to think of what could have become of me had I not had people willing to take me under their wing and encourage me to channel my interest and energy into all things mechanical as a youngster.

You guys keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2010/3/20 1:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I hope those pictures were posed for a joke. He does not spray paint like that does he?

NEVER NEVER NEVER take chances with your health and safety especially your eyes and lungs.

Get the best protective equipment or don't do it.

I only found this out after working in garages and body shops for 20 years. In those days I had no more protection than he has in the photos and now my lungs are 1/3 shot. The damage is permanent, it will never get better, all I can do is not let it get worse. A lot of old mechanics have emphysema and other work related injuries, hearing loss etc. We didn't think about the future when we were young and when we got wise it was too late.

So don't learn the hard way. Learn the easy way and don't take chances with your health.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 9:49
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,
Excellent results can be achived by printing ihe grain on the steel with a roller. This is the way they did it in the 20's, 30's and 40's. GRAIN-IT TECHNOLOGIES sells the proper graining kit for most vehicles. When I first saw this I had doubts if I could do a proper job on my car.
My son told me don't worry, in the early days they took people and gave them a day to practice and put them to work. If you are reasonibly skilled, you will have no trouble. It will not be a 100 point professional job, but it will be very good. Goto www.woodgraining.com and see the products and the how to video.

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/3/20 14:25
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Thanks everyone all of the tips and suggestions have been great. I was wondering though, I am not sure what grain was original on the 47 packard. I have a photo with the only grain that was left prior to blasting. I am thinking burl but am not sure.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.86 KB)
2192_4ba6432f533db.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/21 11:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
The style of woodgrain used by the factory depends on the model you're restoring.

For example, according to the 1946 Data Book, Super Clippers and Custom Supers featured two types of woodgrain: "pearwood plain" and "Amboyna burl." The data book says that the window reveals and upper dash panel are pearwood while the door wainscoting, trim on the rear of the front seat, and the dash face are Amboyna burl. (see 1946 data book, pp33-35)

The junior series used different woodgrain in their slightly less luxurious interiors. Details on these cars can also be found in the '46 Data Book on pages 24-31.

While my '47 Custom is pretty beat, I might be able to grab some pictures of the two types of woodgrain it features, although I'm sure others around here with restored models could give you better pictures. Let me know if you want to see my "dusty and rusty."

And, in case you're wondering, the Data Book I refer to can be viewed in its entirety right here 1946 Data Book for free!

Of course, now I'm really interested in your project since we both have '47's! Let us know/see more...yes, we're nosy like that!

Posted on: 2010/3/21 23:43
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved