Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Oil filter decal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I am restoring the oil filter housing on my 1950 23rd series Deluxe Turing Sedan. I got a reproduction decal for the oil filter but did not get any information where it should be located. Does anyone know where the decal is located on the filter housing or on the clamp? A picture would be helpful if available. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 14:47
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil filter decal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the illustrated list of decals Max Merritt put together several years ago showing those he sold, 1946-1950 models are yellow and black on red and has the decal on oil filter mounting band. Unfortunately, does not say exactly where on the band.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 15:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Fred, the oil filter decal on my '47's 356 is on the cover.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/11 18:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't say this with absolute certainty but I believe the decal goes on the flat mounting band as HH56 has indicated.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 18:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe the PI judging book will say for sure but this is what Max says for the subject.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.20 KB)
209_4bc2604f337f9.jpg 800X162 px

Posted on: 2010/4/11 18:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Believe it or not, I just looked through my 2006 edition of the PI judging manual and there is no image or direct instruction on the placement of this decal, only a visual reference of the decal itself. A newer version may have added this detail.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/11 19:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Fred: It would appear that placement will be dictated by the design of the particular oil filter that the dealer installed on your vehicle. On my 23rd series, the filter does not have a "mounting band." The obvious place to put it is right on the housing...see attached picture. For what it's worth, my car placed second in its class at the 2006 National Meet...and wasn't docked any points for sticker mismanagement!

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (116.20 KB)
610_4bc352c3d5774.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Congratulations, a lovely-looking engine compartment. If I could offer a comment I'd say that neither the oil filter canister nor the mounting bracket resemble the factory filter or factory option filter kit. Perhaps you already know this, if absolute authenticity is important to you, you might want to browse some factory literature.

PS - PLEASE don't think I'm criticizing, but from the appearance of your engine I think you're a person that want's it to be completely correct. Packard obtained those filters from Purolator though I have rarely seen a few that appeared stock, identical in appearance with AC name & address stamped on the edge of the lid. The mounting bracket was a single strap, less wide than the width of the cylinder head to which it mounted, and no part of the bracket extended above the cylinder head. The canister itself was quite a bit shorter - I believe the original filter cartridge was a Purolater P70-FF which interchanges if memory serves with today's NAPA or WIX 1080.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (81.16 KB)
13_4bc35c78b5b80.jpg 1280X680 px

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Yes, authenticity is indeed something I embrace...so the observation regarding the filter assembly are appreciated! I'll definitely take notes on what I can see in other 23rd Series examples or factory literature.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 7:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved