Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Float for a 1929 packard carb. needed.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
Hello all, where can i get a new/used float for my 1929 packard 640 carb. it is brass, cylindrical shaped with a hole in the center for the needle valve.

thanks, Dave

ps: the old float cannot be patched any more.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 10:56
 Top  Print 

Re: Float for a 1929 packard carb. needed.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you checked The Carburetor Shophttp://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_parts.htm#Floats

They mention having some used floats available back to the teens but will only sell them with the purchase of a kit. Might be worth a call to see if they have a kit you could buy and save for the future and a float for now.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 11:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You have the original Detroit Lubricator carburetor? You might inquire of Daytona Parts in Florida who routinely rebuilds Detroit Lubricators, Henry Yeska in PA who sometimes has them for sale, and quite a few Detroit Lubricator parts have been in reproduction for some time, I think perhaps by Bruce Blevins if memory serves.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 12:49
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
OK, here is a update to my problem.

my carb. is pissing gas from the airhorn and the needle valve cap. i figure the float is not putting enough pressure on the needle valve to make it seat properly to stop the gas flow. the float was full of gas when i took it out and soldered it. i have taken the carb. apart and checked for dirt, cracks, ect. nothing found. i am not sure if the float is original or not. i looks like the one in the drawing below. also the drawing below is from my original 1929 owners manual. my carb. looks exactly like that BUT, i have a 3" needle valve at the base of the spay tube instead of a flat body plug as pictured. i assume this is a idle mixture valve. i have thought of getting a rebuild kit, have done many a car from the 50's to late model but do not know what carb. kit to get for this one.

any suggestions????

thanks, Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (164.67 KB)
1730_4bd33a6989c72.jpg 1202X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/4/24 13:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do I assume you are still running the vacuum tank and not a fuel pump? If so it seems almost impossible that a functioning float and needle/seat wouldn't seal as the fuel flow is just gravity, essentially no pressure. Are you sure the float is functional and that the needle and seat work (just try to blow thru it with your mouth while holding the needle gently against the seat.

Over on the PAC website under "reference" you'll find an identification chart for the various carbs - why not verify the model DL you have and give Daytona Parts a call - they surely have the rebuild kit and can be very helpful with carb issues.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 18:33
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
correct, no fuel pump. still using vacume tank and gravity feed.

Dave

Posted on: 2010/4/25 5:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I had the same problem with a carburetor from a 626. If your float has too much solder it will be too heavy for the gasoline to lift all the way to shut off the gas. I used a good float from a '15 Dodge Brothers carburetor (stromberg, I believe), and it solved the problem. The float is very nearly the same size. It worked great.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 5:16
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
OK, i went on the P.A.C. web site and found the list of carbs for each year. the only problem is i can't find any numbers or markings on my carb., except of course the "packard" name on top of the float cover.

do any of you know where i can find photo's of said carbs to help with ID?

i will post photo's of my carb later today.

thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2010/4/25 6:41
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
John, i was thinking of that, the float i have has been soldered so many times it looks like a christmas ornament.

i have been looking for a new float, i found a place that will make a new one. BUT, how do i know if the one i have is correct for the carb.? who knows what has been done over the past 80 years. i don't want to have one made and have the same problem and be out $$$.

thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2010/4/25 6:45
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
Ok folks, what is it?
the only markings i can find are the packard info. on the float chamber cover and a # 9 or 6 on the flange the bolts to the intake manifold.

Photo's of the carb.

thanks, Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (158.40 KB)
1730_4bd436a8a1deb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (161.98 KB)
1730_4bd436cb8225f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (75.99 KB)
1730_4bd436e9286f8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (77.05 KB)
1730_4bd437045cd5e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/4/25 7:36
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved