Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: M@'s 1949 Deluxe 8 Sedan, 23rd series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My '47 Nash 600 had the starter switch under the clutch pedal so that was another variant.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 16:38
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a little FYI, '54 was the first postwar series to use the conventional key start. The '54 ignition switch is one year only, as they changed it in 55. Some of the '54 switches had a nasty habit of getting stuck in the start position!

Posted on: 2007/11/25 18:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My memory says that Studebaker used a clutch pedal start at one point in time - early fifties. I've owned several gas-pedal start Packards and never had a problem with any of them.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 23:42
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
I need to find my camera and show the some of the cleaned up chrome. We have gotten the new wiring in and taped up in the engine department. We now have functioning:
1. Headlights & Highbeams
2. Parking Lights and turn signals, front and back
3. Ignition system
4. Generator and Charge gauge
5. Dashlights, Courtesy lights and interior lights
6. License plate light
7. Oil pressure gauge, though it appears to be reading backwards
8. Overdrive system

We have the wires run but not full hooked up:
1. Gas Tank/ gauge
2. Horn
3. Brake light switch
4. Heater blower

We also have an extra light fixture that we are almost positive we pulled from the dash. We cant figure out (remember) where it goes. I'll post a pic soon in the main forum for help placing it, as soon as i find that dang camera.

The brakes arrived from Kanter, and we will put them in this weekend. The only operational parts i need to get now is an Air Cleaner (?oil bath is what think it is), Choke control for the carb (that's the black cap on the side of the carb, right?), and a Heater control valve.

I wish I could put sound on here and you could all hear how well she runs. Its just amazing. Going from cold and silent to slowly filling with life is just to much fun.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 2:21
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
Ok the brakes are in and functional. Brake lights are good as well as the horn.

I'm going to try and make some stand in door panels and cover the seats with something simple until the holidays are done (and paid off) before i splurge on the reupolstering. We are probably going to drop the gas tank and clean that out next as well as maybe start on cutting out the cancer on the floor.

I'm going to refinish the dash with something plain, but nice until i can afford to have the wood finish redone profesionaly. I'll have to post a pic of my sad attempts at wood graining. I think i did ok, but I'd rather do a good job on something easier than a bad job. I'll save my money for when i have a house (garage) to do the full restore. I'm going to bring her back to life and make her a driver until i have a real place to work. I'm jealous of the cars being brought back to the real status of a packard, while mine is years from that. Oh well, at least one less amazing car will continue to rot away forgotten.

I think she'll be on the 99 again by my birthday. (feb)

Posted on: 2007/12/9 2:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
About the gas pedal starter. If you just push the accelerator down until the switch makes contact I believe you will have little trouble with the car flooding. If the carburetor is set properly, you can press the pedal completely to the floor, the carburetor will dump the extra fuel and reduces the potential of flooding. If the engine doesn't start keep the pedal on the floor and use the switch for additional starting attempts.
I own several of the bathtub Packards and have for more than 30 years.
PS if you didn't know your car is a 49 23rd series car. Packard split the 49 into both 22nd and 23 series.
Good luck with your restoration. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Posted on: 2007/12/30 20:01
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
Goodness it's good to be back. I have learned in the past couple months of the disease that plagues the working on our loves... the removal of time and money. I was going to go to the Packard meet but the fates said "no" and i was very ill. I just got over a week of the flu (maybe Broncitis, i should really see the doctor more) and I am itching to try and get back into the garage.

I have returned to school to finish my education, that plus work and remaining to be a good husband has squeezed my time dry. The weather in the Central Valley (Cal) hasn't been the greatest this year either (for working on the car anyways). I have the air cleaner in from kanter and i got my choke control in only to realize it's the wrong size. It's a fraction of an inch too small in diameter. Plus im at the point where i need to insure and register it as operational. I'll take pics this weekend of the progress and the air cleaner I received. I might need a word of advice on it's place ment

Posted on: 2008/2/7 14:21
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved