Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

battery hookup
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
Ok after reading some forum articals on wiring I am confused

I have 53 Clipper it has been converted to 12v. the neg cable is connected to the block and the positive is connected to the alternator. Is this correct? With the engine running the charge light goes off and on as you rev the engine. The car also has an electric fuel pump, it works fine now, will I need to rewire it also?

Posted on: 2007/12/3 21:53
 Top  Print 

Re: battery hookup
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Dan, Your car was originaly a 6 volt positive ground system. It seems like whoever converted the car to 12 volt negative ground did so correctly if the car is charging the battery and the electric fuel pump is working.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 22:55
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some alternators had a higher "Turn On" rpm that others. So if you are idleing at a low RPM, then it is possible that the alternator is not charging at that low RPM and that is why the charge light comes on.

The way the light works on most alternator is that one side is hooked to the Alternator sensor terminal, and the side to switched 12 volts. When the alternator is not turning, the light terminal on the alternator provides a ground, so the current flows from the switched 12volt and to the ground, and turns the light on. As the Alternator spins, it produces voltage, as the voltage rises, the light gets dimmer and dimmer, until the voltage being produced is equal to or greater that the volatge from the switched 12volt. At which point the light goes out. Also most charging light circuits have a diode in-line with them to keep the current flowing one-way.

So what you are seeing is that at idle the low RPMs are causing the Alternator to produce voltage lower than the voltage at the switched 12v and this causes the light to come back on. As you rev it, the alternator spins faster, the voltage it produces goes up, and the light turns back off.

They do make alternators with a lower RPM turn on rate, also changeing pulley diameter on the alternator so it spins faster can help.

Hope this information helps. Here is a '53 diagram I did awhile back for someone looking to convert their car to 12-

Attach file:

jpg  (18.36 KB)
1_4754d45d5b421.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2007/12/3 23:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Dan. What BRAND of alternator is it and how many wires are comming out of the back of the alternator. I'm guessing there is only ONE wire routed to the alternator.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 23:31
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If it was a one wire, then I doubt he would have a working dash light at all, as there would not be a terminal for it.

Posted on: 2007/12/4 0:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
thanks for the drawing

I have 3 connections on my Alt 1 terminal on the back and
a plug on top with a red wrde on the left (looking toward the back ofthe car) and a black on the right. the hot lead from battery goes to the starter. I will use the drawing to see if I can trace the other wires.

Posted on: 2007/12/4 18:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved