Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to time a 1930 Std 8?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Anybody out there in Packard land have an easier way to time a Standard Eight than pulling the starter out and static timing it with the flywheel mark and a light bulb? I was thinking I might be able to crank start it with the starter out and time it with a gun. I think I have a pretty good handle on the rest of the process. Thanks in advance...

Scott

Posted on: 2007/12/7 21:43
 Top  Print   

Re: How to time a 1930 Std 8?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've done my 34 Eight that way many times; you can get quite accurate and with a compression ratio of only about 5 to 1, a few degrees either way doesn't make any difference anyway. It was only some time later that I realized that by 34 there were timing marks on the front vibration damper as well, have you checked yours carefully?

Posted on: 2007/12/7 21:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
No, I haven't checked the damper too closely but I'm sure there isn't a reference pointer to go off of... Do you think there is a major difference between static and dynamic timing, allowing for distributor play etc???

Posted on: 2007/12/7 21:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How accurate static timing will be depends in part on how careful you are. What I've often done is to use a rubber band hooked onto one end of the rotor and gently remove the backlash in the distributor drive shafts and gearing. Since mechanics back in the days before strobe lights succeeded to getting accurate timing, so should we be able to. You really should have no apprehension about it.

Posted on: 2007/12/7 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I had the same problem with my Fifth Series, until I removed the starter, set the timing pointer to the appropriate static timing BTDC. I then got a piece of coat hanger wire and bent it into a pointer across the front harmonic balancer or pulley. (most earlier Series had a pulley only), attached the other end of the wire (in a small loop), to a timing cover bolt so that it sat very much like a later timing pointer. I then white painted a stripe on the harmonic balance to co-incide with the flywheel mark. The pointer now saves me having to remove
the starter to time the engine and works very well with a power timing light. There should not be a backlash issue if you always rotate the engine in the normal running direction to the timing position. I normally use a 12V light with the two power leads connected to a separate battery source from the 6V car battery. The inductive pick-up lead still clamps to your No.1 lead. I can take some pics if you need them. Best regards, Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/12/9 2:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I, as well, am going to have to tackle my timing soon. That sounds like a very good solution to reduce the number of times the starter needs to be removed. Pictures would be great.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Here is a pic of the pointer which I have attached to each of my Packards without a factory item. It saves removing the starter or trying to stretch your neck on the late thirties Juniors to see tne mark under the starter (removing the two inch cover). Good luck and best regards Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (21.63 KB)
154_475c9b1ab46d2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/12/9 20:49
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Thanks for the sage advice guys, I will let you know how it goes...

Posted on: 2007/12/10 12:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved