Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Packard gas tank sending unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Brian. Sure looks like the Spectra is the same style unit that Quanta and Classic have. With Classic's price, am wondering if maybe theirs is sourced overseas or if the site is way out of date. Napa has the FG97A listed on their site at $109 which may be the same one our vendors are selling with a bit of cushion added.

Good question about the difference in senders. Tank size is the same and the electrical function is same as the 52 on being the resistance type unit. The gauge is even the same one for 51-2.

Possibly there was a slight error in the bend and wrong reading in the 51 units that was corrected with a new piece. There is an SC article listing the correct float distance for 51 "after numerous requests from the field" for the information.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to see. It is the same as those in my 48-50 cars. I had forgotten and remembered the 1947 unit.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 22:17
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
FYI, Stepdown Hudson used a similar sending unit, the arm's different but can be bent to work. I know this because there's one in my '48 now.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 22:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to know about the Hudson use and nice to have another option. I am thinking that finding a stock of Hudson senders might be about as interesting as finding Packard ones though.

Am still thinking that there must be an early Ford product that also used the bimetal types. The Motor's and Chilton manuals call them Ford and King-Seely type. Packard used King-Seely and don't think Ford was the manufacturer so why the name otherwise.

I don't have any reference info for Ford to look thru so am hoping that someone familiar with the early Ford cars might know and post any information. Of course, even if they did use the type, probably wouldn't get lucky twice and have it be a drop in like the later one. The unknown type senders on one early Ford parts site I looked at were of a different look.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
HH56 -

Quote:
Good question about the difference in senders. Tank size is the same and the electrical function is same as the 52 on being the resistance type unit. The gauge is even the same one for 51-2.

Yes, Packard's parts books show, in Gr. 4.0600, P/N 439007 for all models 55-56 and 52-56, but P/N 416277 for 1951 models (except hearse and ambulance chassis), which had me wondering, as I am not so familiar with the 51 cars. Yet, I see that locking ring and seal (gasket) are same for 51-56, which leads one to believe that the 51 models use same style of mounting plate on their sender.

Perhaps a 51 owner in need of a sender will try one of these units and let us know.

Also, notice that the same Spectra eCat page shows a locking ring, LO42, separately. I suspect that will replace Packard's P/N 426211.

Along with the locking ring, Spectra also list an o-ring seal, LO54, though for the filler neck. However, I wonder if that application note is an error and it is actually a companion to LO42 - thus, replacing Packard's P/N 426212.

If someone tries these Spectra part on any 51-56 car and has success, I hope they will report back, here. Then, we can then add them to the site's X-ref.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1951 version does have the same mounting arrangement and electrical resistance unit. The only difference is that the float arm is about 1/4" shorter.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 17:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dave heon
See User information
hello i am looking for the ohm spec on sending unit 1956 four hundred any help

thanks dave

Posted on: 2011/2/10 12:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave,
Sorry, can't help with your inquiry, but to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 13:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51-56. Empty around 80, full around 10. Same as some Ford products. Several Ford places sell this unit and is a direct drop in although the float travel or arm angle may need to be checked. Here is one.http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/index.html

The other instrument senders are the same relative spec. 80 at low or cold end, 10 at high or hot end.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.84 KB)
209_4d5435abb2aa0.jpg 500X240 px

jpg  (9.08 KB)
209_4d5435b388363.jpg 647X81 px

Posted on: 2011/2/10 14:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Andre Trudel
See User information
From 55 up ford had a 12 volt system, would this create a problem on a 53 - 6 volt system

Posted on: 2011/4/22 15:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved