Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
32 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 31

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

30 Std 8 Valve adjustment???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
OK, Guys... I adjusted my idle mixtures today and the car ran beautifully. I moved on to adjusting the valves which have been too noisy. My next question for the "Brethren of the Packard" is:

After 30 minutes of trying to adjust #1cyl valve clearances I have taken a break. I managed to get oil all over and slightly scorch my hands; the halftime score is valve 1, Scott 0. The adjustment mechanism is simple enough... basically a precision bolt sticking out of the top of the lifter with a lock nut. Problem is, I seem to need three hands to get it locked down without without re-adjusting the clearance. I have adjusted quite a few solid lifter types before but they were all overhead stuff. I am at a loss, WWOD (What would Owen-Dyneto do?). Any hints would be most appreciated.

Scott

Posted on: 2007/12/10 20:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 30 Std 8 Valve adjustment???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
What gap are you setting it at?

I know this is not correct but I adjusted my cold but a few thousands less to make up for the expansion when warm. Was afraid to do it hot for the same reason as you burning the arms.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 22:33
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I set my 34 Eight (320 engine) to 0.005 intake and 0.007 exhaust with a HOT engine, but not running. I use the hand crank to turn the engine to bring a specific cam lobe down, then adjust that valve and then rotate the engine for the next valve, and so on. Using pecial valve tappet wrenches helps a bit but still IT AIN'T NO FUN.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 23:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Well after thinking about it for a while.... I decided only an asbestos octopus could have set the darned thing while it was running.... I ran it, checked the gap while it was running, then shut it off and guesstimated the adjustment. Then I started it up and repeated steps A and B until I was happy. I went cylinder by cylinder front to back. I used a .004 feeler gauge (both sides) which was what the manual and the tune up guide says. I had a couple of "clatterers" that must have slightly dished the top of the adjuster so they got a skosh less clearance. I could still get the .004 feeler guage in those, it was just tighter.

Now I'm off with a spray bottle of diluted dish soap, a toothbrush and a spray bottle of water to clean up after myself...

Thanks for your posts, Scott

Posted on: 2007/12/10 23:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I also used to half burn myself to death trying to set those tappets with the engine running. I thought that there has to be a better way. Well a lot of years ago I read of a method of adjustment, for straight eights of firing order 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4 and have been using it successfully for over 40 years. The engine should be nicely warmed up to operating temperature and you only have to rotate the engine one turn from No1 firing position to set all of the tappets. Try it and see what you think.
STAGE A - NO 1 AND NO 8 PISTONS AT TOP CENTRE, WITH NO 1 PISTON IN FIRING POSITION ( BOTH LIFTERS DOWN)- ADJUST STAGE A
ROTATE ENGINE 360 DEGREES TO STAGE B, IF YOU OVER ROTATE BRING IT BACK 60 DEGREES THEN RE-ROTATE TO STAGE A. or B. ( TO TAKE UP BACKLASH IN TIMING CHAIN ETC.)
STAGE B - NO 1 AND NO 8 PISTONS AT TOP CENTRE , WITH NO 8 PISTON IN FIRING POSITION ( BOTH LIFTERS DOWN) - ADJUST STAGE B.

STAGE A - ADJUST
NO 1 - BOTH VALVES
NO 2 - EXHAUST VALVE
NO 3 - INLET VALVE
NO 4 - INLET VALVE
NO 5 - EXHAUST VALVE
NO 6 - EXHAUST VALVE
NO 7 - INLET VALVE

STAGE B - ADJUST
NO 2 - INLET VALVE
NO 3 - EXHAUST VALVE
NO 4 - EXHAUST VALVE
NO 5 - INLET VALVE
NO 6 - INLET VALVE
NO 7 - EXHAUST VALVE
NO 8 - BOTH VALVES

There is a margin of overlap in the above method, so it is not necessary to have the piston exactly at top centre. I also use the GO - NO GO feeler adjustment method. I also give the exhaust valve an extra thou to keep them on the seat a micro-second longer, to run them cooler as we tend to run the engines a bit harder than in the old days. There is also a similar method for 6 cylinder engines of 1-5-3-6-2-4 firing order Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/12/11 5:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Thanks Peter. I copied your post to a text file in my tune up folder.

Scott

Posted on: 2007/12/11 10:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Peter,

Thank you for that wonderful post. I wasn't happy with my last attempt at setting the tappets and went through them again with your procedure. My 726 now purrs like a kitten!

Thanks again,

Scott

Posted on: 2007/12/18 21:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved