Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 107

37Blanche, JD in KC, William Grosz, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: R-6 overdrive transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thank you, for the clear reply that even a shade tree mechanic like me can understand.
John

Posted on: 2010/10/7 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Peter, would it be possible for you to e-mail wiring instructions for the R-6 as installed in your car with the under dash kickdown switch. If so i will forward my e-mail.
Thank You
John

Posted on: 2010/10/7 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I shall send the wiring diagram the first chance that I get. Peter

Posted on: 2010/10/8 0:37
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Peter, Thank you Look forward to the wiring diagram.
John

Posted on: 2010/10/9 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Flackmaster, the R-6 checked out as follows, the teeth are not chipped or worn, shafts are fine. The overdrive shaft engages firmly, and the column shifter works. The Governor? or what looks like one and relay are on the trans. and are in-tact/complete including the wire terminals.
how much is the cost of shipping?
If you answer with your e-mail we can communicate directly.

Your call , what do you propose and what condition is your R-9 in, does it include the Governor and relays ?
Thank you for your interest
John

Posted on: 2010/10/10 20:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
pm sent. just got back from Hershey....

Posted on: 2010/10/10 23:25
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dennis Taylor
See User information
John,
I just joined the group last week and started another thread concerning the wierd engine number on my 39 120 formal sedan (thank all of you guys for your expert acvice on that!!) , and I am reading this and noticed you are close by in Modesto. I am just over the hill in San Jose. I have an R6 on my 39 which I believe to be the factory set up, so if it would ever be helpful to you to take a look at mine during your conversion, and you don't mind driving over to San Jose, you are welcome. If you want, we could exchange emails.
You can find my car just recently entered in the owner's registry, a 1292 bodied 1939 120. Mind you, I am NOT a Packard expert, my other cars are Imperials and a DeSoto!! But I do attempt all my own restoration work.
Regards, Dennis in the east hills of San Jose, CA

Posted on: 2010/10/17 16:37
Dennis Taylor
San Jose, CA
1939 1292 touring sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Dennis, thank you for your reply and offer to help. right now I am trying to work a deal to trade the R-6 for an R-9 which would be original to my car.
I will certainly contact you as needed and when I am up and running drive over and we can talk Packards.
thanks
John

Posted on: 2010/10/17 21:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dennis Taylor
See User information
Sounds good, John, hope your conversion goes well! BTW, since I have a '48 288 in my '39 packard, I am not certain which version of OD I really have. Could it be that an R9 was retrofitted with the service engine replacement? Would someone please explain how I can tell which one I've got?
Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/10/18 10:51
Dennis Taylor
San Jose, CA
1939 1292 touring sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The easiest way without crawling under is look at the relay on firewall. The R9 has a large black box about the size of a regulator with 6 terminals. The R11 has a smaller usually silver or natural metal box having 4 terminals and an external fuse on the side. I don't believe the R6 has a relay or if it does, will be on the smaller side.

EDIT: R6 does and appears to be a 3 or 4 terminal--not sure about the external fuse and where it is mounted.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 10:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved