Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 39 40 41 (42) 43 44 45 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
My question was answered and I started spraying, with a respirator mask and the garage door open. Lots of black stuff washing down.

http://www.mktx.com/joe/packard/ClutchWash.m4v

Posted on: 2013/7/9 0:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
If you're not beside yourself with happiness, then you've got something seriously wrong somewhere! Beautiful car and inspirational blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 0:41
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

JoeSantana wrote:
Trying to keep a cap on that bald head in hot weather. Yesterday bought a chauffeur's cap and provided transportation around Portland for my first wedding gig. Our accountant's daughter. How do you say No when you could find your business in financial ruin? Lots of fun, especially when the husbands sent their wives with me to the after-party at a nearby bar while they walked there.

The joys of Packarding.

Joe, where did you find the chauffeur's cap? I've been doing a "Driving Miss Daisy" the last few years for my 90 year old neighbor lady. She loves both my Packards and I think she'd get a real kick out of seeing me in a cap like that.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 0:45
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks so much, Jim. Believe me, I've gotten back much more than I put in here. But my clueless approach and many pictures encourage others to get out and get under.

The cap is from John Helmers, downtown
http://www.johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/1593
I charged it ahead of time, drove the Packard there, and Cathy came and handed ti me. A crowd gathered instantly. There's a fire hydrant on the Broadway side you can pull into for a few. They have an upscale model for about 3 times this one.

EDIT O, and the first time I sprayed, the garage door was closed and I didn't use a mask. Nearly passed out. Went outside and felt the need to breathe deeply. Quite a buzz. A little scary for the over 70s.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 0:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Joe, if you are still working under the car wonder if you would do me a favor and note any particulars or take a picture of the round 3.131 seat between the clutch rod and the throwout lever. If you've finished crawling under, then don't go to extra trouble and I'll keep looking.

Looks like all 356 engines used the same piece as I am missing. I only have the parts up to 3.130 and since vendors don't have the 3.131 item looks like something will have to be made approximating it. Would appreciate knowing the thickness and how it attaches.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.12 KB)
209_51dc1d34e12f3.jpg 677X353 px

jpg  (20.48 KB)
209_51dc1d3ee0cf3.jpg 332X315 px

Posted on: 2013/7/9 9:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm not done yet. Just need a couple more cans of brake cleaner.

I don't think this will be much help. Mine doesn't look kosher. More the work of professionals in whom my faith has waned as I get into issues with the car.

But here are the photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.94 KB)
1067_51dc265fa08b2.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (120.13 KB)
1067_51dc26688784b.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/7/9 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Joe, thanks for looking and taking the photos. It looks like something is welded on the back of your lever that I don't have. I'll have to figure out something to add thickness between the lever and rod on mine since it won't work long the way it is now.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 12:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes. Looks like someone welded a washer to the fork, about 3/32nds thick.

The original 40 engine came out in 1964 (cracked block, frozen) and a 120 went in, with some mods to make it work. Then the '47 356 went in sometime in the 70s, thanks to my friend Vaughn.

Interested in what you do to yours. I would want to duplicate that. But that washer has been welded in there for 40 years or so.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Cleaning the clutch has cured the slipping. I read up on Brake Cleaner today and it is dangerous stuff. You never want to light it, clean something and then weld. I wore a long-sleeve old sweat shirt, protective glasses and a respirator. Not fun under the car in this heat, but I went through 2 full cans, circulating the clutch and fly wheel with the starter until nothing came back out except clear cleaner.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, ingenious way to fix a slipping clutch. Still, how did it get covered in oil? I guess that is the long-term quest. No gasket on the lower bell housing cover. I just bolts up to the bell housing.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/10 11:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 39 40 41 (42) 43 44 45 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved