Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

Jim in Boone, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Modern AC Compressor in a 6-Volt Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I attended the CCCA Grand Classic in Waxahachie, Texas, last weekend. One of the over 30 Full Classics on exhibit was Jim Hollingsworth's 1940 Super Eight 160 Club Sedan. It is an air conditioned Packard with the Babcock & Bishop "Weather Conditioner" system. The original compressor failed and Jim installed a modern one, being careful not to alter the original mounting bracket. He has a 12-volt battery in the trunk of the car to provide power to the compressor clutch. The battery is of the sealed type, so no danger of spilling acid. He says this system has worked out to be quite satisfactory and he only needs to recharge the battery every few days. He preferred this method rather than converting the car to 12-volt. I thought this approach to solving the modern AC system in a 6-volt car most interesting. Just thought I would pass this information on to those who are considering installing AC on their pre-1955 Packards.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Modern AC Compressor in a 6-Volt Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I would say that's the best Q&D way to do it. I've not made the calculations:

Take current draw in amps of all 12v accessories connected to the 12v Auxillary battery.

Divide the AMP HOUR rating of the brattery by the total current draw in amps. That will give the number of hours of operation in the 12v battery before recharge is necessary.

Mite need to subtract about 30% from final calculation becuase no battery can be used to the last amp.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sounds like a half-a$$ed way to do it if you ask me. Knowing my luck it would fail on a 105+ degree day 100 miles from home. Converting to 12v to run the a/c is just a simpler and easier way to go, bar none. And a lot more dependable way as well.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did he use a Sanden compressor or something with a more period look?

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I really wouldn't think that the battery would last that long without a charge. Chalk it up as one more option in the "don't want to convert the car to 12v but want ac" compromise column.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Chalk it up as one more option in the "don't want to convert the car to 12v but want ac" compromise column.

My thoughts exactly.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Did he use a Sanden compressor or something with a more period look?

He used a Sanden compressor. Jim is very particular about the authenticity of his Packards, and wanted to be able to use the AC system without permanently modifying the car. He hopes to have an original type compressor in the car again.

(o{i}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I wouldn't want to change to 12 volt either.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm nearly finished with a 6 to 12 volt motysickle conversion. A couple of interesting items that i ran across on Flea-Bay just now. Specifically see the rather cheap conversion cable for gauges.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/kansas_select_products/m.html

Posted on: 2010/10/23 13:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't realize 6v motysikles had anything to convert. Live and learn.

Since you are into them, can you give me an idea of size or the diameter of an average motorcycle or small engine alternator. Did they use generators or always alternators.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 15:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved