Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 184

TxGoat, Dennis Miller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: DESIGN IMITATION?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
They're all Packards, people.....some you just like better than others!....

Posted on: 2010/10/25 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Without doubt, the Clipper design influenced their thinking when the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud/Bentley S1 design was in its gestation period. Conceptually and architectually, the designs are same. The English, to their credit, developed the concepts and architecture into one of the most prestigious and elegant production designs of the period. 45 years after it's production ended, it's still the RR/Bentley design when the media used to convey the idea of wealth.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/10/25 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
This photo-altered image might help illustrate what a Clipper might have looked like had the company chosen to continue the traditional grill theme. Have also eliminated the built-in running boards. The result is indeed like RR/Bentley/Jaguar of the 50s. To the owner of the maroon '47 Clipper, please accept my sincere thanks in using your photo.

In retrospect I think Packard had a good opportunity to better differentiate the Seniors from the Juniors during those Clipper years. In addition to the obvious wheelbase difference, here are some ideas:

1) Seniors could have used traditional upright grill while Juniors used Clipper design theme.

2) Seniors could have used notchback styling of Clipper sedan exclusively while Juniors used fastback style only (a popular style in the low to mid-priced field during that era). See image of Junior 4-door fastback.

3) Seniors could have used non-Clipper nomenclature such as One Seventy, slotting the new $2200 sport sedan between the existing One Sixty and One Eighty cars in price. Only the Juniors would have used the Clipper name.

4) Seniors could have eventually included a coupe and convertible, and perhaps a LWB Formal Sedan by adding a section to the sedan. Images show the body styles. Try to envision with upright grill and no running boards. Perhaps the Juniors could have retained the built-in running boards for further differentiation.

Paul West

Attach file:

jpg  (60.46 KB)
2060_4cd30dede373f.jpg 996X558 px

jpg  (22.91 KB)
2060_4cd3134eed083.jpg 698X282 px

jpg  (24.53 KB)
2060_4cd314cc561e7.jpg 825X402 px

jpg  (25.81 KB)
2060_4cd314e9638f4.jpg 825X402 px

jpg  (26.49 KB)
2060_4cd31506e27c2.jpg 825X402 px

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Mahoning63 wrote:
...To the owner of the maroon '47 Clipper, please accept my sincere thanks in using your photo...
Paul West

Paul, nice job on photo shopping my Clipper. Very attractive. You are welcome.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Someone needs to build this car, it looks WONDERFUL!!!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Someone needs to build this car, it looks WONDERFUL!!!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Well, there ya go, Eric.....

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
LOL, I have too much on my plate already, without buying ANOTHER project!

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All are very interesting ideas. I am rather fond of the Clipper as designed, but the wider grill does seem to make a lot of difference. I rather think that grill with or even without the rest of front end changes and on a convertible would have been very well received.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Gentlemen - your positive response is much appreciated. And thanks again for permitting the use of your photo, JW.

Doing a vehicle build would put the design team right back there in 1940, a pretty cool prospect. Lots of details would need to be worked out but if done right the result could be both stunning and a worthy addition to the Packard story.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
HH56 - do you mean something along the lines of this quick & dirty photo chop? Do you envision horizontal slats in the grill rather than vertical? Keep the running boards?

Paul

Attach file:

jpg  (24.03 KB)
2060_4cd35d71e4a02.jpg 499X333 px

Posted on: 2010/11/4 20:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved