Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Finned and Edmunds style H/C Heads
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I found out that Empire Motors Inc in Texas is casting reproduction Normal, Finned and Edmunds style H/C Aluminum Heads. I have an email into them for pricing.

The also have Edmunds production intakes and exhaust for the Straight Eight motors. An Ad I saw for them is claiming 212hp from a 327 with this setup (manifolds and head) using the stock Carb.

I am going to try to get their price list and specs to post here for those that are looking for a little extra 'pep' out of your Straight 8.

BTW they also make reproduction A/C mounting brackets and pulley setups for 54 and prior years.

And of course they have always made reproduction and H/C heads for pre-war Packards.

Just thought I would pass along the information.

Posted on: 2007/12/24 21:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Finned and Edmunds style H/C Heads
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
There was a thread at the AACA Forum, earlier this year, where someone was asking about Empire Motors Inc, of ElPaso, TX. The responses weren't rosy, but due to that club/site's position with regard to publicly commenting on vendors, the participants typically directed the poster to PMs for more info.

With no salient details, most of the thread isn't much of a read, but the AACA Forum site appears to be down for yet another round of maintenance (hoo-boy, here they go again).

I suggest you ask around about this vendor at the PI meet next year, and post back with any "qualified opinions" you find.

Posted on: 2007/12/24 21:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Here is the link to the AACA forom dicussion. Doesn't sound good. Too bad in a way as i would like to soup up my old gal.
http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=464452

Posted on: 2007/12/25 14:41
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
Sraight 8 with high compression heads and pistons, 4 1bbl downdrafts, and a hot cam, as on the 1953 Motto bodied Trevoux Carrera Panamerican Packard, and you would probably have close to 300 hp...

Posted on: 2007/12/25 21:10
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is the information I got back from Empire Motors Inc:

"For your information, the items we mfg. are made to Order., we can supply the following:

Packard Heads:

1929-32, Super 8, Finned and Non-Finned H/A Aluminum Cylinder Hds.
1933-34, Super 8, Finned and Non-Finned H/C Aluminum Cylinder Hds.
1935-36, Super 8's Finned and Non-Finned H/C Aluminum Cylinder Hds. Mfg'ed to Fit AC Bracket
1935-47, 110, Finned and Non-Finned H/C Aluminum Cylinder Hds, Mfg'ed to fit AC Bracket
1935-47, 120, Finned and Non-Finned H/C Aluminum Cylinder Hds. Mfg'ed to Fit AC Bracket
1933-36, Standard/1936-39 Super 8's, Finned and Non-Finned H/C Aluminum Cylinder Hds, Mfg'ed to fit AC Bracket
1940-54, Super 8, 356/359, Finned and Non-Finned H/C Aluminum Cylinder Heads, Mfg'ed to fit AC Bracket.
1940-54, 288/327 Thunderbolt, Finned and Non-Finned HC Aluminum Cylinder Head, Mfg'ed to fit AC Bracket.
1932-39, V-12, H/C Aluminum Cylinder Hds. Finned and Non-Finned. (For the Record we have sold 128 Sets.)

We also have the above 2-2B Aluminum Intake Manifolds finned and Non-Finned W/Water Heat S/S Pipe, and the Cast Iron Split Exhaust Manifold Finned W/Bolting Flnages. Mfg'ed to look like the time period. Style Similary to the 1926 Stutz, Exhaust Pipes coming down the
Center. We have been work the Block for the 1933-36, Packard Super 8.

Some of the items are with in the Web-Pages, but the majority are not, we have been work vary hard this last two years, right now we are coming out with Sixteen New Heads, that by it self is alot of Casting Tooling, if you have been watching Old Car Weekly, over the last year you would be seeing the development come forth. The Customer, that are looking for HA and HC Heads, Intakes, Ehaust Manifolds, Blocks,can Call for Price and Delivery. All items are mfg'ed to Bolt On and are to Show Quality.

All together we mfg. about 60 Heads, compression 6.2/1 to 9.5/1 it is based on customer want and needs.

R.A. Perriguey
President
Empire Motors Inc
Casting / Machining Division
13451 Montana Ave
El Paso, TX 79938-9616 USA

Phone No. 915-856-9607
Fax No. 915-856-9637

Email: info@empiremotorsinc.com"

They also informed me that the website is about 2 years out of date, but they recently spent about $400,000 on casting tooling and plant improvments.

Pricing is based upon finish, and also desired compression ratios so anyone interested would need to call them for more information.

I just thought I would pass this all along for the folks that are interested.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:34
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I really do like how those aluminum finned heads look on the Straight Eights.

I guess I need to figure out what compression ratio I want before I ask for pricing. I wonder what a good compression ratio would be for a bump in performance, but still keep it 87 octane friendly. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:51
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
C/R Vs. Octane: Easy rule of thumb to remember, take your compression ratio, multiply it by 10, and there's the minimum octane you'll need. Not very scientific, but it's accurate enough for 99% of the people here (including me) to go by.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:57
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So 8.7:1 would be what I am looking for then.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:06
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You could go 9:1 if you make sure the timing's absolutely correct with 87 octane fuel. Keep in mind when considering compression ratio's that all fuel is going to have Ethanol in it, because the old oxygenation additive is "bad" for the environment. Ethanol is a good oxygenator, and is also hard on fuel systems set up for the old fuel. A positive side effect of the Ethanol, even though it's not much unless you're getting E-85, is that alcohol burns cooler than gasoline, so it's easier to raise your compression ratio. It also doesn't make as much power as gasoline, so it's all give and take anyway you look at it.

Bottom line is, if you happen to run 9:1 c/r, keep an eye on pinging in the engine. I highly doubt you'd have a problem though. I'd personally use 89 or higher with a 9:1 c/r.

So in other words, 8.7:1 is probably the best bet. Me, I'm going to go with 8:1, or maybe even 7.5:1, since I'll be using turbos.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
If you are using a 327, using a 288 head will increase your compression to 7.5 to one. A small amount of head planing will increase that slightly.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:19
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved