Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I think you should check if the other clips are for the harnesses. My car has a sort of half clip on the wire harness up under the left fender drip edge right behind the batt and washer jar and the other looks like the rt side. Horn harness poss? I thought these fiddle bits and detail was already documented for judging. I would have taken detailed pics of mine when It was disassembled as it was obvious it was never taken apart previously. Pm if you would like pix.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Do you have springs on the left side of the carburetors?

Those other clamps look like wiring harness ones.

The routing of the wiring harness on the passenger side does not look right. Does it go behind the heater box or in front of it?

Posted on: 2015/1/30 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I went back and reviewed the post. Very interesting the photos in the a/c install lit and the pictures posted. The engine colors were cream for sr and the bronze for jr/ Clippers however in the sales lit there also shows a lt green and the 2 pictures of clippers engine bays of lt green body color show what looks to be the green engine color. Are we sure the ( cummins diesel) green was never delivered on engines of clipper customs or 400 with the lt gr/ med gr body color?Any chance of cars destined for Manhattan or gold coast L.I.ever delivered with non standard paint finishes? What is the correct finish of the vacuum balance valve? Are the relay and ckt breaker mounted on the top of the drip edge only on a/c cars and under it for all others?Did the spring steel fender clips with the serrated teeth that dig into the hood sides create a ground for the hood to reduce radio interference? Did they only come on wonderbar equipped cars?Is the oil fill tube eng color or black like the vent cap? Thanks I realize many "accessories" were dealer installed not factory so as to muddy up things.I also have a question on the tar based undercoating. Any chance this was done on some cars at the factory? I ask because the coating was quite extensive inside the doors and I did not see access holes drilled? Seems the same as whats between the trunk inner and outer. This was on all cars? This must have been done during production? Doors too on the upper level jrs? wheel wells too?
Also the 55 washer jar lid. What is the correct finish?

Posted on: 2015/1/31 0:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The circuit breaker and relay are ABOVE the drip rail on my 56 Caribbean which does not have AC.

The oil filler tube was painted engine color.

I'm not certain that the radio "hood scratcher" was for the purpose of making a ground or not, it was called a "radio bonding clip" and was a running change (see TSB) to improve performance for distant stations. Presumeably for use with any of the radios. P/N 472146 (2 per car).

Cars with non-standard paint should either have a "R" for a paint code on the VN plate, or blank if shipped in prime. There is not much info on cars shipped in prime but apparently there were a few, presumeably for painting at the selling dealership in accordance with the wishes of the purchaser.

No where do I find a factory code for undercoating.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 10:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Ok .Thanks. Indeed some of the posted pics above seem too bright and clean to be orig, but this is the one that I am interested in. If anyone has, or knows of a 55 or 56 that is thought to be in untouched state and has the tourmaline/jade paint (different names for 56) and an untouched engine compartment(or thought to be) may they please take a photo of the engine paint and pm me or post it. Thanks. I too agree with the above posts stating body color in the fire wall and inner fenders which has much better coverage on the rt fender and fades to what seems to be a black and this in more evident in the left fender under the the air duct. I wished someone had made aware these were in question as orig as I would have welcomed an expert to be onhand upon first disassembly. Certainly paint scratchings and thickness tests with the proper tools are all standard procedures for this. No ideas on the thick tar between the trunk inner shell+skin? and doors? And the balance valve and the jar cover I had asked quite a while ago?

Posted on: 2015/1/31 10:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the main reason for moving the 56 relay above the lip even on non AC cars was the addition of the power door lock relay. The added space the lock relay took up would have been tight in the 55 location between dash grommets and openings. The relay is fed from the window circuit breaker so they probably elected to keep the items close for neatness or shortness on the wire run & just moved the location. The non door lock cars were probably moved up just to be consistent.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Yeh I am having trouble re attaching the pics already posted by someone. The 2 that i am referring to are on post 23 of this thread -the may 07 and april 08. It looks to me the rt cyl head on its flat face near the intake- dirty and faded as it may be is the same green as my engine.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 10:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hasn't the 5560 Clipper blue (or turquoise) engine paint been repro'd? I was under the impression that the 55 color offered by Hirsch was correct but the 56 green (or turquoise) is the one where there were some questions so had not been offered.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Oh. So you are saying a green engine paint for 55 is correct? I an not sure of the 2 greens you refer to. This is not a med green or dk I am referring to. It is very close to the fire wall color of my car. Can someone post swatches? samples? So the broshure is correct for a green V8 in a 55?

Posted on: 2015/1/31 11:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No ideas on the thick tar between the trunk inner shell+skin? and doors?

Not sure just what your question is about this material, used to prevent panel drumming. In some places it's a sprayed material similar to dum-dum, in other locations it looks like a similar material sprayed onto felt sheets. Rubberized sprayable undercoating (sold by NAPA and others) is perhaps a reasonable substitute.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 14:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved