Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 157

Packard Newbie, humanpotatohybrid, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Ultramatic Clutch Disc and Linkage questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Not to put too fine a point on it, as the Brits say, you will not live long enough to wear out a second clutch disk, especially one of the big ones like is in your car.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 18:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I checked out the NOS disc the materiel is firm but leaves a mark when you scratch it with your fingernail. Another thing you might think about is the new disc has no wear in the splines and brand new springs, which are not replaced when one is relined. If you want to inspect it yourself I will send it to you. Have your trans guy look at it. If it passes send me a ck for 99.00 + shipping. If you do not think it will work ship it back and I will send you a check for the return shipping

Roscoe

Posted on: 2010/11/2 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ross's recommendation and the points about the springs are good enough for me, i'll hit your auction up. Also, it's cheaper than Kanter AND i don't have to wait as long.

If i recall it's heat that destroys these disc and not as much sitting around rotting, correct? After all this work and 2 tranny coolers, i'm sure the tranny won't be seeing much overheating.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 19:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Starting cleaning parts to put them back together and saw there were what looks like two bushings in the base of the converter hub. (see attached pic) I have a bushing set from kanter here, so i hate to reassemble if i have the parts to replace them. The question is, how do you get these out without hurting anything!? And how do you drive the new ones in to the right depth?!

Also, the steel plate disc that kind of "clicks" into this part of the converter, does it have to go in a certain way for balance? I marked it but having trouble finding marks after cleaning The outside of the converter is still marked so the two halves will go back together as they were.

I found another large bushing on one of the other converter pieces. I'm going to go back out and continue cleaning and working, but any advice is appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.31 KB)
1420_4cd74a0bc0015.jpg 1024X765 px

jpg  (84.54 KB)
1420_4cd74a13bf859.jpg 1024X765 px

Posted on: 2010/11/7 19:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You really need proper tools to extract and replace bushings. Some you can make do with home made or other methods but those in converter are going to require something to go behind then expand and grab and pull.

On the bushings in general, you need to be careful you don't scratch, distort or get them started crooked & mess up the seat area they fit into or you've just wasted your money. They are a bit fragile and don't have a lot of tolerance before they leak as bad as the old. Also have a good look at the shaft areas they fit around for any signs of wear. A new busing won't help a worn shaft for very long.

Have a look at service counselor Vol 28 #12 for the tools and proper method of using themhttp://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL28NO12.pdf The service manual also has some instructions on removal/replacement.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I could take it down to the tranny shop and see what they have for it...does anyone make this tool in particular? It looks to be the only problematic bushings in the converter, and i'm having the tranny done instead of doing it so those won't be an issue for me. I hate to leave old bushings in if i have new but then again i hate to make it worse with the wrong tools.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 21:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That particular tool was made per Packard spec and use but a trans shop should have something that works. There must have been more than one trans with that blind bushing arrangement although maybe not in the same size.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't be in a panic to replace bushings just because you have new ones. The fit is the thing as most all bushings in an Ultra serve the dual purpose of supporting a shaft and retaining hydraulic pressure. The standard fit of all bushings in these trannies .003" clearance. The bushings are all nominal size , for example 1 1/4", or 1.250, and then the shaft will be sized .003 under, 1.247. All you have to do is get a telescoping bore gage set, about $18 at Harbor Freight, and a reasonable dial caliper. The caliper does not even have to be accurate as you will only be measuring the difference between the shaft and the bushing.

There is no intrinsic value to changing bushings for their own sake. They just need to be carefully inspected--along with the mating portion of the shaft.

If I recall, you had a good direct shift, in which case I can already tell you that there is nothing very wrong with your bushings or shafts.

Do try to find your matchmarks as those convertor pieces were balanced together.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ross, you're correct, i had no direct drive issues, but thought i'd peek at the direct drive disc while i had it out for rebuilding and noticed that it was starting to fall apart. There were literally no symptoms of tranny problems other than the feeling of dropping out of gear at idle (and the converter drain plugs being clogged, clean now) and once in awhile (maybe 3 times) not letting the engine run when coming to a stop, which i was going to look at being a dirty governor.

I have a digital caliper like this one:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Could i not use the "back" side of the caliper to measure the diameter of the bushings then the normal "front" side of the caliper for the shaft or would that not be accurate enough?

I've looked like hell for those marks (they're on the disc or piston or whatever you call it but not the converter housing. I can see there are two lines on the back of that disc that coincide with the two lines that are cut into the face of the converter housing facing it but they're across from each other and it could be one of 2 positions, so i guess i have a 50/50 shot of getting it right. I'll go out again tomorrow with the light and go over that half again.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 0:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sure, you can use the back side of the caliper, only that in many places it won't reach. That's when the telescoping bore gages are nice.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 6:13
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved