Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 55

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd Series headliner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Hello All,

I'm at the point where I'd like to attempt the replacement of the headliner in my 1949 22nd Series Deluxe Eight.

I see that Kanter, Fryer's and others sell pre-cut and pre-sewn material for this, and that there are replacement tack strips available. I also have read the section on this in the Packard service manual.

My question is for any of you that may have done this job yourself: Do you have any suggestions or ideas to offer to help me get started properly? Maybe avoid some pitfalls?

Thanks in advance,

Jay
(This is also posted on the AACA forum,
and may appear to be a double-post to some)

Posted on: 2007/12/30 14:38
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series headliner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did a 54 & 56 several years ago. Don't know exactly how much difference between years (probably not that much) but the job was not that difficult. Assume yours is the cross bows, not lengthwise, although don't think the procedure would be that different.

There are some tools that will help the job such as a smooth curved putty knife like implement to push the liner up into the retainer without tearing it and a steamer would be handy to remove wrinkles. An extra body is a big help also.

Important when you take the old out to carefully mark and identify which bow goes where as they are probably all different by a fraction of an inch or slight angle--also the ends that go into roof pieces. Paint or clean them to remove rust. Otherwise you just remove the garnish moldings as required, then old liner, which will probably tear and pieces remain in retainer teeth (if your car uses that arrangement). Clean and repair roof pieces as needed.

To install, insert the bows into new liner Center lengthwise, make sure bows remain upright and straight and push the cloth edges up into retainers being careful to keep things centered. Haven't read your manual so if it says start anywhere particular, then do so. The windlace will also probably have to be replaced if you hadn't guessed. I had already planned on doing this because of damage by dash & lower doors, but mine was so aged and rotted that the slightest disturbance and the cloth flanges tore even by the headliner.

You mentioned Kanters material. Suggest you request a sample because what he supplied for the 56Pat was not very close to original--although it looked better than what I was replacing. Windlace was worse and impossible to find with correct pattern--from local or other mail order suppliers so wound up with a reasonable color but wrong texture.

Posted on: 2007/12/30 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Thanks for your helpful post.

I got some windlace samples from Kanter also, but they don't seem to be much of a match for the original. I've asked for some samples from a couple of other places.

I've been scared to do this job for a long time, but now that I'm into it some it doesn't look all that bad. It certainly looks like one of those jobs where patience will pay off.

Jay

Posted on: 2008/1/4 19:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jay, take lots of pictures as that may help the next guy that has to tangle with a headliner.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 19:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Will do, Kev.

I'll document the whole thing and put it on my project website.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 21:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds great. For those that have not been to Jay's website, he has a nice project blog where he has lots of good information on how he fixed various problems he has tackled with his Packard.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved