Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: 1955-57 What-If Line-Up
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
I could not agree more...the entire senior line was ignored, but in some ways this trend had started in the late thirties.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 12:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
I second that motion. Great observation.

Perusing the ads from that era, Packard seemed to lose its touch creating a classy backdrop for the cars as well. Too much meat and potatoes, not enough lifestyle. And too much corn flakes unfortunately:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=4808

Posted on: 2010/12/26 15:13
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
Look at the brochures too. I have the 1948 and 1949 Custom brochures...the 49 is really quite common ...look at the 49 Cadillac catalogue. The 53-54 and 56 brochures are very nice (at least the prestige ones, but by then the market was lost.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 23:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Mahoning63,

Thanks for hanging in there. I like the dark color you chose for the photo work. The front, I think, had it's best shot with good old chrome headlight doors and the signals placed as they are, but a much subtler yellow. You can also go with t white or clear plastic lens and get the amber pop when the lights are on.

The start on the rear bumper is fine. The square exhaust opening is where I'd out the louver treatment... not like punched hotrod loubres, just downward slanted chrome slats.

The trunk itself might be too much to deal with. Remember, what we're trying to do is make enough striking design tweaks to really freshen up the '57 senior, without breaking the bank.

The rear fender from a side is where I think the extra flash could be worked in quite economically. simply elongate the top of the fender a bit. You wouldn't even need to change the stamping, just do it all with the tail lamp shell. Extend the top of it flush with the fender, then fashion an slightly extended (maybe 1.5") chrome tip, that gives a 'streak' look when viewed from the side. The extra chrome on the vertical sides of the tail lights would overlap the fender by 1/2" or so, giving a nice, finished one-piece look.

Descriptions are challenging, and I invite questions. Wish I had some more drawing board ability. I do like what's been down so far a lot. Making the trunk a bit more angular and shaving down the top at least 'til it fits flush with the windows will add the final touch, I think. Except perhaps the need for a bit of squaring of of the upper doors, rather than staying with the mild curves.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 0:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Actually. this one alone has my vote for a very good start:

I am extremely limited in photo retouching, but just cropped to show about where the "shaved" top should end up. For some perspective, only.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.64 KB)
917_4d197e1705fa4.jpg 640X485 px

jpg  (28.71 KB)
917_4d1aaf90ef837.jpg 599X354 px

Posted on: 2010/12/28 1:01
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Here's a lowering and chopped roofline that has nice proportions. Even the backlight is pretty nice, but definitely not 1956 styling.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.62 KB)
917_4d292fefabddd.jpg 750X358 px

jpg  (47.32 KB)
917_4d29300eafcbd.jpg 750X470 px

Posted on: 2011/1/8 22:48
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved