Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Power brake and standard trans.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone have a car with standard trans and power brake that is in restoration or accessible for a photo? I would like to get some info and a picture showing the arrangement of the clutch and brake to see approx how much clearance and routing there is between items.

Was not going to mention this exercise until further along and all the decisions were made and bugs worked out but here is a quickie shot of what has happened so far. Have been tinkering with a modern power conversion to see what could be done in something that keeps the existing interior almost undisturbed.

This seems to have a good ratio of at least 3:1 and will have minimal disruptions inside which I don't think will be noticed at first glance. It seems to be feasible with clearances but obviously hasn't and won't be driven for a while. Was wondering today if there might be a way to accommodate the earlier pedal and standard trans as well.

NOTE: for those that are shuddering, I have made all new and not touched ANY original components. A welder I am not, and things are just tacked together at this point.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.86 KB)
209_4d1955d922e88.jpg 640X534 px

Posted on: 2010/12/27 22:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Power brake and standard trans.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
That looks like the beginnings of a scissors multiplier pedal arrangement. I drew up something like that back when I was implementing my particular brake pedal arrangement. I decided to go with a more straight forward leverage setup only because I didn't have the time to figure out all the clearance details, i.e., how does the scissors deal with low reservoir volume and other such factors.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/27 22:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe--never saw your arrangement so not sure what you call scissors. This is basically two levers on a shaft--trying to keep it fairly simple. Couldn't get excited about the pedal being changed so much with the direct method but would have made things much easier if I had. If this entire thing was a couple of inches shorter would also be a quickie but with the dual power unit and remote fill, doesn't look like it will happen.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 23:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56 writes:
" arrangement of the clutch and brake to see approx how much clearance and routing there is between items.'

hmmmmm. Slick idea. U plan to use clutch linkage between stock brake pedal and power unit?????

Posted on: 2010/12/27 23:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No. Just want to see where the components are in relation to one another. This mount would interfere with a clutch pedal but if shortened and supported differently, maybe not

Posted on: 2010/12/27 23:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 wrote: Quote:
Maybe--never saw your arrangement so not sure what you call scissors. This is basically two levers on a shaft--trying to keep it fairly simple. (snip)

I can't find my original (good) drawing right now, but this is a rough sketch I just made of a scissors multiplier pedal:

Resized Image

This design retains the brake pedal over the original position, albeit somewhat higher than stock. The various lever lengths and heights can be adjusted for whatever leverage you want, 3.5:1 being pretty easy to achieve.

Maybe this will give someone an idea to pursue.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/28 0:09
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This one is not the same. 2 levers on a shaft. Pedal pushes long one which turns shaft and twists or pushes the short cylinder levers. Cylinder has max travel of about 1 1/8" so max pedal travel currently is just over 3 inches and I'm allowing for 4 which should have pedal be at approx fact height.

All is located below floor on this although rod is in different spot and there will have to be a bulge over cylinder end of about 1/2 in. Probably make a new floor pan cover to blend bulge all across width. Bigger problem is to figure out what to do with old carpet hole.

With normal operation depending on where things finally adjusted, pedal shouldn't move more than 1 1/2--2 inches absolute max. Don't expect any no fluid and to the floor travel. Again, a work in progress and all is changeable now until tested. Once that's done, angles determined then new levers can be made and welded and things simplified considerably. Will give the actual dimensions I wind up with when that happens.

With my usual schedule of 1-2 hrs work before getting aggravated then 1 week thinking about something, plus the AC refit also going on while things apart, probably be like my switch project and take awhile.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 0:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Looks like a slick set up to me. Can't tell from the picture but there must be an arm perpindicular to the pedal that connects at the left side of the pedal with the bolt thru the pedal shaft.

As for the clutch and brake pedal arrangement u asked about there was a thread with pictures of clutch and brake pedal about a year ago. I can't find it tho.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 9:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2010/12/28 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Carpet hole.

See pic in post #6:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&forum=3&post_id=29806#forumpost29806

I cut a piece of carpet the size of the hole as a PLUG. Cut a larger piece of heavy burlap bigger than the hole. Cement the burlap to back side of carpet. Cement the plug to the burlap.

In pic 6 above the patch is barely noticable. One would have to be looking for it even in sun lite. Try to cut the plug with a champfer so that some of the color fabric is hanging over the cut carpet backing. That weill make it blend well.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 9:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved