Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 28 »

Re: carforce number one
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I like it. No, I really love this team! When Kevin showed the scent to the yellow car it was my first impression that the original photo shows everything else than a yellow colored car. How good that Dave (JD) touched the right chord - that's not the first time to enjoy the power of his shrewd eyes. That was the right time for Mal, for years situated at the Packardinfo engine control room. While we stumbled about in the dark, he volleyed a possible explanation. I love it!

An inauguration party isn't the right moment to flip photos. Please find attached another original pic.

Description: Juan Per?n, with his wife, Eva, greet supporters from a car in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on the day of his second inauguration, June 9, 1952.

source: www.kids.britannica.com

? Bettmann/Corbis

Attach file:

jpg  (26.99 KB)
757_51442e9001986.jpg 256X350 px

Posted on: 2013/3/16 3:34
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
The Peron Packard has been recovered from Argentina and is back in the US, fully restored a few years ago.

Dave (O_D), let's 6 min 31sec celebrate the history of Packard.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_2GH_Oka97E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2013/3/16 3:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
After intoxication by success back to the daily business:

I would never change an original Packard (except the way Ross is going) but have certain appreciation of the situation to own a RHD in a LHD country. But for what reason they changed the original steering wheel, gear shift, interior trim and wood paneling? If the historical details are not the arena of the second restorer, then why he even antiquated the bench seat?
As far as I can see, Dave (JD) is on the right track (btw: Dave, thank you for 1,111 comments, hints, jokes and ideas!). Either we have two different Eva Peron's - Evita was a distinctive natural force - or we are seeing two different cars (both wonderful).

sources
pic 1: youtube
pic 2:http://www.barthworks.com/cars/petersen/1939ppackardsuper8.htm

Attach file:

jpg  (22.59 KB)
757_514448d8394f0.jpg 519X288 px

jpg  (91.06 KB)
757_51462bbf5303a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/3/16 5:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I will never understand changing a RHD to a LHD. I heard that the Ruby Keeler car was changed that way and now sits unused. When Ken Hines had it he used it. I just don't get it. Why not drop a modern drive train into it as well?

Posted on: 2013/3/16 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I really don't believe it is the same car. Pay particular note where the window sills meet the windshield pillar. On the Peron car the sill turns up to form a radius there, and have beautiful grained moldings. Not so on the yellow car. And who would take out the beautiful red leather and put in cracked diaper brown leather? Notice also that the Peron car shows very little sheet metal above the windshield glass. The Peterson car has much more.

There is some sort of fooling going on here.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
This car is steeped in history.

[source: "40th anniversary of the Packard", donated by John (JW)]

Attach file:

jpg  (142.78 KB)
757_5145e0f016827.jpg 795X755 px

Posted on: 2013/3/17 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Based upon the history uncovered and documented here, the Peterson museum should rethink the documentation presented in front of their Packard. An Attaboy all around for the sleuths of Packardinfo.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Gee Ross:

You're right, I thought the RHD picture wasn't of the same car.

So now the question is: Why would anyone make fake claims about Eva Peron in a museum?

What's next, George Washington's chamber pot?

Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
<iframe width="500" height="375" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OpIups5Xuds?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sources

pic 1: www.historiasilviavietri.com

pic 2: www.tresbanderasylasquevosquieras.bligoo.com.ar

video: Youtube

Attach file:

jpg  (25.36 KB)
757_51462d91cecf8.jpg 560X366 px

jpg  (64.41 KB)
757_51462da2de61f.jpg 600X432 px

Posted on: 2013/3/17 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Based upon the history uncovered and documented here, the Peterson museum should rethink the documentation presented in front of their Packard...

Click to see original Image in a new window
Petersen Automotive Museum; Los Angeles

Randy, in due consideration of the wonderful reputation of the Petersen Automotive Museum I informed the curator about our conjectures. He replied:

"Dear Guscha:
Thank you for your message and interest in the history of our ex-Juan Peron 1939 Packard Derham parade phaeton. Accuracy is extremely important to us and we would appreciate it if you would tell us how you believe we our misrepresenting the vehicle. We followed the link that you provided but could not find any clear reason to question the authenticity of our car. Specific information and clear, detailed photographs would be most helpful. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Best regards,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Curator"

My poor English could stand in the way of factual clarification. Therefore I kindly ask one of the crew to take over this job. I would be glad to PM one of you the e-mail address of the contact person. Thanks in advance.

[picture source: www.popularhotrodding.com]

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved