Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 33 »

Re: far away from home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Quote:
That's a well-known photo, I've seen it many times. I don't recall the coachbuilder, Erdmann & Rossi perhaps?... [Posted on: 2013/10/5]

Dave (O_D), if Hugo Pfau's "The Coachbuilt Packard" is to be trusted*, then its coachbuilder is the Swedish Hofslageribolaget.
It takes a little getting used to such a name but it is easy to explain: hovslageri = farriery and bolaget = company.

* The above mentioned and shown "well known" pic with the German steamer Bremen as background gives raise to doubts. The webpage "fritz-august-breuhaus.com" publishes the below shown photo and refers to serious sources.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 0:54
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Gusha;

I just went thru the Hafslageribolaget chapter is Jan Str?man's wonderful 2009 book "Swedish Coachbuilders". No pictures or comment about that particular car but if you're interested in European coachbuilders and especially Swedish coachbuilders (of which there were MANY for the size of the country) you would enjoy this exceptional book. Available in both Swedish and English, very limited printing on the latter.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 11:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave (O_D), thanks for the kind recommendation. To me, coachbuilders take more and more the center of the stage.

Today the thread ends up in a car museum in Lima, the capital of Peru. The car below with many viewing windows is a 1929 Packard 633.

image source: limaeasy.com

Posted on: 2016/1/5 6:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Guscha

"Dave (O_D), if Hugo Pfau's "The Coachbuilt Packard" is to be trusted*, then its coachbuilder is the Swedish Hofslageribolaget."

Just checking my copy of The Coachbuilt Packard by Pfau, the cabriolet's coachbuilder is identified as Neusse of Berlin-Halensee in Germany. When Joseph Neusse retired in 1933, he merged with Erdmann & Rossi.

The photo identified as built by "Hofslageribolaget" refers to the 1919 Twin Six boat-tail speedster shown above on page 212.

The Neusse cabriolet has all the European-preferred styling features that make those coachbuilt cars so desirable: an early convertible Victoria body style, body sides extended down over the frame rails, cycle-style fenders and all important, proportional ending of the body mass at the rear axle line with trunk carried on the rear frame and rear-mounted spares. The most progressive American custom coachbuilders quickly began adapting all these features in their work.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/1/5 9:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I just went thru the Hafslageribolaget chapter is Jan Str?man's wonderful 2009 book "Swedish Coachbuilders". No pictures or comment about that particular car...

Quote:
...The photo identified as built by "Hofslageribolaget" refers to the 1919 Twin Six boat-tail speedster shown above on page 212...

Dave (O_D), Steve (58L8134) & Mr. Pfau, sorry, my mistake.

source: Hugo Pfau's "The Coachbuilt Packard" ; ISBN: 0901564 109; here and there available

Attach file:

jpg  (55.06 KB)
757_568be1d617a79.jpg 718X608 px

Posted on: 2016/1/5 10:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Today a short trip accross Istanbul, Turkey, where East and West meet.
The lateral stripes make the car to a taxi but what is the function of the ... whatsit? A nesting box?

BTW The photo is offered as "Packard Automobile Photo". I have certain doubts ...

sources:
pic #1 - ebay; item number 370824206381
pic #2 - airport-nuernberg.de
Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.78 KB)
757_56d2771b91af6.jpg 720X576 px

jpg  (87.71 KB)
757_56d28133d64cf.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2016/2/27 23:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Guscha.
You are contradicted by Rudyard Kipling !
Tom

Posted on: 2016/2/28 3:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Istanbul - where East meets West [briansworldtour.com]

Tom presumably alludes to the The Ballad of East and West by Rudyard Kipling, a poem where it says at the introduction:

Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

The well-travelled Lakshmi Sharath replies -> there: "...Sipping a hot cup of Turkish coffee, I see the Bosphorus strait from my hotel room and wonder if Rudyard Kipling had kept Istanbul in mind when he wrote "The Ballad of the East and the West". His ballad may recount another tale, but in Istanbul the twain does meet and even better it takes just a bridge across the strait to cross the two continents of Asia and Europe...."

Attach file:

jpg  (32.34 KB)
757_56d2d01758449.jpg 500X484 px

jpg  (21.55 KB)
757_56d2d023bcf87.jpg 500X320 px

jpg  (20.78 KB)
757_56d2d0383d5f4.jpg 500X331 px

Posted on: 2016/2/28 5:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
You guessed right.
Nice exhibits to prove him wrong. Kipling must turn over in his grave.
Prediction is very difficult - especially if it's about the future.
Tom

Posted on: 2016/2/28 6:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

"Diplomatstaden(Swedish for "The diplomat city") is a neighbourhood in the ?stermalm district in central Stockholm, Sweden. As the name suggests, the neighborhood is the home of many embassies and ambassadorial residencies."

quotation & images: wikipedia Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (84.08 KB)
757_56ddfe12e9a28.jpg 800X586 px

Posted on: 2016/3/7 17:17
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved