Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

markbw, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 174 175 176 (177) 178 179 180 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah a lot of factors trying to get the trim to sit snug and flat to the body of the car. I found that out when trying to duplicate with bare wire.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 11:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For those metal tab style one with the bolt. A piece of sheet metal bent in the appropriate shape and then a tack welded bolt does work. I used that in a few places. The trick is to get the bolt in the correct location in the tab, and to paint it afterward so it doesn't rust. Then you can use a rubber washer and a nut to seal everything out.

Those are more important on the quarter panels and places where water has no where to drain. Not as important on the doors since the windows drain water through the door shell anyway, so really no point.

I used some clips that had to long of a "barb", it caused an issue with the glass in the doors. So I had to trim the end of the barb, and then bend the ends back together to reduce the length of it. But it worked just fine.

Other time I found a set of clips that worked when I turned them 90 degree in the trim. Sometimes you have to improvise with what you can find, especially on a budget.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 14:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks, I went back and saw what you did with the window trim clips. I'll be doing that as well.

I went ahead and used the studded spring clips on the door trim. I liked how they held on much tighter, even if not necessary.

I'm glad I just painted over the original paint with clear. the trim would need to be professionally restored if I had repainted the car. too many scratches and blemishes, but hey as is they work great with the paint on there. woohoo....cool look and saved money.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.96 KB)
491_545794b334543.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (57.52 KB)
491_545794b81c784.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2014/11/3 9:44
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
found a full bag of moulding clips that I bought years ago, score! they are bigger then the ones I have, but they still worked.

got another piece of trim on. brakelight is just for looks right now. I was able to reach every single clip stud and put a rubber washer and nut on it. the ones next to the wheel well were not that bad if you have long arms.

i'm glad the trim isn't perfect, if it was it wouldn't match the paint job. if I had painted the car, I would have a lot more money to spend on getting perfect trim, polishing wouldn't be enough.

today when my wife got home....she said....Stella's getting her groove back. I have to agree.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.11 KB)
491_545bba013cdcf.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (84.97 KB)
491_545bba07c0a2b.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/11/6 13:12
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
lower trim going on. can't put the forward piece on yet as it overlaps to the front fender, which is off right now.

the top part of the wheel arch trim piece is barely on there right now as the studs on the clips are not quite long enough. the fender is doubled in that area because of the inner fender. I'll probably have to use some of my old clips on that part. hopefully I will have enough usable ones left over to do both sides. the only other thing I could do would be to grind off the old stud and tack weld on a longer one or something like that.

also, instead of making that A-frame clip, I just used one of the universal ones and it seemed to work okay. I may still try to make the A-frame clip, not sure yet.

one other thing I did. I took the brake light lenses off the chrome mounts and the driver's side has been glued from the inside before in the past and its a good job because its holding well. the passenger's side looked great till I took it off and the whole bottom of the lens is about to crack apart. its holding together and i'll slober it with some clear glue to hold it together. Then when I spray a few coats of clear on them it will be nice and strong again and should last many years. I plan on using my eastwood clear, not rattle can clear. so it will go on thick and harden nicely.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.56 KB)
491_545cd54410cc1.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (89.06 KB)
491_545cd549c6ef1.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (43.99 KB)
491_545cd54e8a840.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2014/11/7 9:21
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, neat to see the lower trim going on. Is your problem with the tail light or back up light lens?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/7 11:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
brake light...red light.

I have spare reverse lenses.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 11:23
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Oh, the rare and expensive one. Too bad, but it sounds like you can make it serviceable and attractive.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/7 13:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes the gold plated ones. I can service it. it is holding together as it is now, but it will need to be glued all up on the base part to hold together over the years. there are no chunks missing, cracks are all together and seemed ready for glue. I got lucky.

glue and a coat of thick clear will hold it together for many many years to come.

just bought a couple more reverse lenses in the housings on ebay today. my original housings were way way pitted. this gives me 3 lenses with good housings and 2 brand new spare lenses in the boxes.

also got new inner brake light reflectors as one was missing on mine and the other is good for a spare only.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 14:19
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would you post a photo of the reverse light assy and how it mounts. I've never had the opportunity to see how those fit to the body or how they are added after the fact since there appears to be a body panel directly under the tail lights on cars without them.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 14:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 174 175 176 (177) 178 179 180 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved