Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: vin help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your car is either a 53 or 54 as clearly identified by the front windshield shape and these are the only two years that long wheelbase cars were produced in the 4 year run of this basic body style. The grille is from a 1951 or 1952. Your thief-proof number says 1953. The VN you state, 52664001 does not correspond to any Packard VN that I'm aware of, though it might be a Henney number for the body itself; Packard's VN on the driver's door jam should be either 2650-XXXX (with divider window) or 2651-xxxx (no divider window). The fact that the front grille has been replaced with an earlier year may explain why you also have the incorrect engine; perhaps the entire nose and engine was replaced as a result of collision damage?

You might go thru the PAC directly and contact other owners of 53/54 long wheelbase cars to see if the 52664001 means anything with regard to Henney's numbering system. As Kev states, once the original VN tag has been removed (as yours has), there is no other way to find the correct number other than thru documentation, it is not elsewhere on the car.

BTW, tampering with a VN is a felony in most if not all states.

PS - re your comment about Packard VN tags being "ornate" and yours looking like "government issue", the 54 thru 56 tags are not ornate, no lithograph or other decoration, just 3/4 x 3-1/2 riveted metal tag with embossed border and information. I'm not sure what they used in 53.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm in White Bluff, 30 miles west of Nashville. Where are u????

It is likely that the car was an airport limo (taxi) or other commercial taxi type vehicle. Look for indications of any ROOF mounted signs or lites where holes might have been filled or wires routed. Also look closely at the trunk for indiactions of signs. Look INSIDE and outside of these areas. Also look at the interior to see if there were any holes left from where perhaps a meter or other commercial equipment may have been mounted. Is ther a center dividing window INSIDE the car???? Are there jump seats in the rear passenger area???

It is my understanding that the 55 and 56's had a number stamped on the FRAME RAIL, right side, just under the door pillar. It would reasonable to assume the same for 51-54 since the 55-56's were basically clones of the Rienhardt body style anyway.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 21:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Vin help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The Packard in question is a 1953 Henney built long wheel base formal eight passenger model. The cars were built in at the Henney plant in at Freeport Ill. These models came on a new chassis of 149 inch wheelbase and were available to all Packard dealers on special order basis. The side trim on these Henney formals was the side trim used on the 1953 Cavaliers. The rear roof section used on these Henney Packard's came from the 1953 Packard Clipper two door Club Sedan. To end the story 100 of these were built by Henney.

One last note the body style number for this car is listed as 2651.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/1/31 22:02
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Vin help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, I'm curious how you determined that it's a 2651 and not a 2650.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 23:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is the link for the '53 Limo. The side moudings match the holes on the fenders on the pictures. So at least you know the front end sheet metal is correct.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=146

Posted on: 2008/2/1 0:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

heatherdef
See User information
does anyone know if henney still exists anywhere and if they did would they be able to help me figure out what this is. I also have the trunk and inside of the car full of the outside chrome trim and I think I have another nose grill for it. It has the second and third row of seats in it, but it does not have a partition in it that I have seen or found yet. Opinion time though, if there were only 100 of these made 55 years ago considering probably only 50% of these still exist, and this is a huge pain the rear, is it worth restoring despite the vin? Would there be much of a value for one of these? I have never worked on a Packard before, or honestly seen one up close (i'm only 27), but I bought this because it was something that you never see at carshows or in service.
Also, PackardV8, I am about an hour north of Chattanooga in Tennessee

Posted on: 2008/2/1 0:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
This is what a '53 Clipper ID plate looks like:

Attach file:

jpg  (31.88 KB)
34_47a2df3ae52a0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/2/1 3:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And this is what a '56 ID plate looks like,
normally it's not painted, just shiney stainless. IMHO, even if it is a modified Limo, it's still cool as hell and worth restoring. If I had it, I'd outfit it will all the modern amenities in the interior, but keep the stock engine, slightly "modified". It's the perfect candidate for that, since finding all the specific pieces to completely restore it back to original will be a mint. Don't EVEN get me started on trying to find a proper 9 main engine for it!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (44.31 KB)
34_47a2dfd7a053f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And here is a proper '54 Limo: Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And a '53 Limo: Click to see original Image in a new window

Methinks it's a '53, but I can't really tell if there's holes for the big moulding on the rear door or not. If not, and it goes straight through, it's a '53.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved