Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 146

humanpotatohybrid, Carl Roser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Locking door handle cylinder removal 1940
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Joe, I don't know if you're a PAC member or not, but the back issues of the national and regional publications have hundreds, probably thousands of articles like that one on the door lock. Ditto for the older AACA and CCCA publications - just a wealth of information that's not generally available on the internet. There is an index to the PAC national quarterly publication, not aware of any for the regionals. Their publications are copyrighted so I can't scan and post here, but I can post on PAC's own website. I'll try to do more of that as other queries come up and I can recall some relevant prior articles. Glad you found it useful.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes, Owen,
I'm a PI and PAC member, but off and on. On both currently. I'm missing a few issues. Still after several hours tonight, I still couldn't get the handle with the good lock to release the cylinder. It's a darn good lock.

I went back to my original one and tried to piece it together and put it back in there. A number of problems.

I'll post some photos in a minute. But I feel like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

I put the spring in after the retainer and then the old cylinder. It went in, but didn't hold. I think the groove that the nub slides into is shot, too worn. I may have to go to a jeweler. Hey, It's a Packard. A Duchess at that.

But I would feel much better if I could get that other one out that I had the keys made for. Then I could see the exact order of each piece, how it's oriented, etc. I will probably have to have the groove restored.

Perhaps Harold, the guy who took my old one apart will be back from vacation and can take the other one apart with the good lock.

Tomorrow I'm "working from home" to take the Duchess apart and take the parts to the paint shop.

Thanks for the help. I understand it better.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.14 KB)
1067_4da3da9189e08.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (117.53 KB)
1067_4da3daadb1dc2.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (52.41 KB)
1067_4da3dac137065.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (46.13 KB)
1067_4da3dadcf2b4e.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (52.08 KB)
1067_4da3daf6bbcc3.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (50.68 KB)
1067_4da3db0abf414.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (47.09 KB)
1067_4da3db26d607e.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/4/11 23:39
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jim C
See User information
On the Packard Owners website there is an article about removing the door lock cylinders on a 1937. After reading that article I was able to remove the door lock cylinders on my 1939, 1700 sedan. Here is a quick synopses of the procedure that worked on my 1939 car. Insert the key into the lock and turn as far clockwise as it will go. Locate the largest wire that will fit in the tiny hole on the rim of the lock cylinder. Note: a heavy duty paper clip would not work for me. With the lock cylinder in the extreme clockwise position insert the wire holding the wire with a pair of pliers to provide adequate pressure. You may feel the wire meet resistance then insert slightly further at some point. Once the wire goes in that tiny bit more try to turn the key at little bit more clockwise. If it does turn it will only go about an 1/8th of an inch. While still holding slight clockwise pressure on the key remove the release wire and continue turning the key clockwise and the cylinder should come out.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 16:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Jim:

I'm the one who posted on the PAC forum the 1990 article by James Bushnell on how to remove those lock cylinders. Just for easy reference for future readers here's the link:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1079

Posted on: 2015/2/24 17:29
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jim C
See User information
Thanks for the link. Made copies of the info there. There were some slight discrepancies between what he posted and what I found on my car. I don't know if it was the difference in model years or what. Got my lock cylinders out now just have to figure out how to reinstall them. My 39 has no lock ring inside holding the the spring and washer with the dog ears on it in.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 0:49
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

JL
See User information
I have a 1937 Packard 115-C. The handle lock is similar to what has been mentioned. I have replaced the cylinder lock with a new one, but I can not get the door unlocked. Are there any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Attach file:

jpeg  0503293E-8E83-45E5-AAD1-952116285A25.jpeg (321.41 KB)
226480_65550ebde84c4.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/11/15 13:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I know it is a stupid question, but is the inside door handle un-cocked? That is, pushed toward the dash? The mechanism has a feature that allows interior locking by pulling the inside handle back toward the jam, the outside cylinder will not over ride this feature.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/15 16:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's right, they are two separate locks with the outside one simply freewheeling the handle on its shaft and the inside actually locking. I've had several 1940 Packards and had forgotten about that until you asked!

Posted on: 2023/11/15 22:14
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

JL
See User information
What is the purpose of the handle on the outside of of the door with a lock if there is no connection with the internal lock

Posted on: 2023/11/16 22:28
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

JL
See User information
Yes. The handle locks on the inside.
What is the purpose of the handle on the outside the door with a lock if there is no connection with the internal lock.

Posted on: 2023/11/16 22:32
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved