Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Which Coil do you guys use?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I've been chasing down some ignition gremlins (or actually ruling out ignition as the source) and wondered what everyone was running as a coil for those of you still on 6V.

I'm running an ignitor I 6v pos ground, with solid core cloth wires and i used to have a 1.5ohm flamethrower coil that was cracked.

I found pertronix wants me to have a .6ohm coil, so i got one this weekend and installed it. Spark is crappy and weak, won't start, but was fine when i tested with regular spark plug wire with the non metallic core (which pertronix says is the only wire to run with their digital ignition anyways).

I'm going to try using the regular spark plug wire tomorrow (i hate to switch because i love how the cloth wire looks) and test spark again. If it's still weak, i'll try the cracked 1.5oh coil again and see what's up.

I was told a 12v coil would normally work in a 6v setup anyway, and that's been my experience with this car for many miles.

I'm considering switching back to points (i have 2 spare whole distributors) just to keep the look of these wires, but i can't get one of the points setups to fire at all, and i checked how i wired it 5 times.

So i guess my questions are:

Those of you with pertronix 6v, what wires and coil you running?

Those of you with points 6v, what wires and coil you running?

Anyone do a real good just drop in and go job of rebuilding distributors that anyone could recommend?

Should have a spare in the trunk anyways, and i'd run points again if i could get one setup and working, i only converted to pertronix to avoid ever messing with points.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 21:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Which Coil do you guys use?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No ideas on the coil but on the non working dist, check the flex wire between points and outside terminal carefully. The no fire is a classic symptom of that wire shorting somewhere that's usually hidden. The thin cloth insulation gives up or slides exposing the wire. Sometimes works but as soon as advance plate moves, it shorts. Several here have had the issue.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 21:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I didn't sit down and troubleshoot it at all, it was getting late so i threw the working dist back in. Thank you for the tip, i'll check that wire when i start cleaning the spare dist. up. I'll stop in napa and see if i can get a points and condenser kit for it.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 21:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
FWIW, one broker/seller of the 6-volt positive ground Pertronix units has stopped selling them because of too many take-backs and failures. No personal experience, just passing along information. I'd go back to conventional ignition with points. NAPA does have the points, condensor, rotor & cap. Theirs and Standard lists below.

Attach file:

jpg  (278.41 KB)
177_4dabad2126bb6.jpg 1025X1600 px

jpg  (275.96 KB)
177_4dabad33eec44.jpg 1282X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
FWIW, I am running a conventional 6 volt system except negative ground on my 53 Clipper. Original coil was Delco-Remy 1115376. I am currently using NAPA's ECH 1C7 made by Echlin, which NAPA listed as an interchange. Works fine on my system but have no idea how it would work with Pertronix.
Ken

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:54
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had a problem with no spark on a NOS distributor that was new in the box. I finally determined the points had oxidized and several passes with a point file resolved that problem.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 23:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Had Pertonix in my 51 200. When all was well it would start a bit quicker; no change in gas mileage. But if it was cold and the voltage dropped a hair from the strain of cranking it was absolutely no go. When I realized I was starting to look for hills to park the car on, out it came.

I am personally aware of at least 3 other failures.

Points really work quite well with a minimal bit of care. As Randy points out, many old point sets are oxidized; look terrific but won't pass current. Whenever I wake a sleeping beauty, or even a sleeping ugly, I always fold up a bit of 600 grit sandpaper and work it through the points followed by some white paper to catch the debris.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 5:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Cortcomp:

The best solution to your problem is to return to the ignition points and use relatively new wire,coil, etc and other parts COMMONLY available at auto parts stores.

Owen Dyneto gave u very valuable information with the list of parts. He also indicated a vendor stopped offering the e-ignition. That in and of itself ought to be a decideing factor.

Read Ross's post about voltage drop!!!!

Each one of the posts above are pointing to problems with attempting to run modern equipment with 6 volt systems.

The problem is that many of the manufacturers will throw out a lot of products and let the collectors test the products for them!!!!

Back in the mid to late 70's when PRODUCTION e-ignition first became popular on PRODUCTION cars there were problems. Many of us converted back to Ignition points on engines to which earlier 70's POINTS distributors would drop right in or maybe with a little modification. I did several Ford 6 cylinders.

GO with what u know!!!!! LEt the fad and trendy gimmick crowd do the testing in the meantime. It's a philosphy to live by. U'll be miles and dollars ahead.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 7:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I use the cheapest coil I could find. It was at Autozone...Coil at Autozone

Posted on: 2011/4/18 7:33
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
51Packard gives even the best advize yet about the cheapest coil he could find. That's all i've run too unless a nice Delco or AL coil just happened my way for cheap.

All of this expensive FlameThrower HEI hi-tek state-of the art coils and e-ignition computer controlled systems is nothing more than crock of happy horse shit relative to the pre 70's car.

I've a cheap coil running on one application here for many years and miles subjected to direct road debris directly behind a front wheel , rain and high vibration and severe heat. I don;t have any problems.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 8:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved