Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 42 »

1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
After initial purchase the car sat for about 3 months. In December my friend and I went thru it and retrieved many parts from the front and back seat. There was also some very nice upholstery material that will look great in this car. I have set aside all the parts that I could find that were not on the car but in it. The back seat now has all of the part that I need to put back on.

Update 02/04/2008
Well have started on this project. Have removed the wheels and will be putting new tires on. I hooked up a battery and got lights, but only a click out of the key switch. Waited until the battery was fully charged and tried it again and got nothing although there was a draw on the battery. I held tension on the fan belt and rotated the fan and got the h-balancer to turn so I know the engine is free. Removed the gas tank and sent it to the shop for cleaning and sealing. Next on the list is to take it to install the gas tank when it comes back, then take it to the tire shop to install the brake master cylinder and have him check the brakes out for pads and drums and see how they are. Once that is complete then it goes to see if it can be made to live.

I will try to get pictures as soon as I can

Posted on: 2008/2/4 16:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
AlK: I once helped a fellow get a 1948 Packard convertible running that had sat better than twenty years. This fellow had owned a Packard dealership and was a Packard Master Mechanic.

Judging what I learned from this fellow and the method and steps he taught me, and what we did to get his 1948 Packard running sure differs from your approach. Maybe you should sit down and think things out and use a different approach.

Just to keep this short the brake system and new tires on your Packard would be one of the last things I would do.

The fellow that taught me the correct way to wake an old Packard out of its long sleep was the Late Great Brad Berry.

Best of luck getting your Packard on the road.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/2/4 18:59
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
You need to turn the Harmonic balancer AT LEAST TWO FULL revolutions with sparking plugs removed to be sure that there is nothing frozen up. Remove the starter (it's only 2 bolts and a couple of wires) and test it by holding it on the ground with your foot using a good battery. If u don't hold it down with your foot or some other suitable means then it will flop around when it starts to run.

That should get u cranking.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well just a quick update.. The car has new tires, and now rolls well to get it on and off the trailer, and is up in the air on the rack. The wheels and drums are off. This is where my methodology pays off. I don't have to do the front brakes, they are brand new(cost savings $225), I have to do the rears, well that's half of it anyway. The undercarriage is suprisingly intact with the exception of a 4 X 6 photo size spot of rust on the floor just behind the passengers door. Next after the brakes I will take some steps to make sure the engine is free and turning and then make an attempt to start it. The gas tank has been done and sealed and has no leaks. When the motor is turning freely I will take this to the southeast Packard guru, Don Taconne, the president of Pac who will make the car live. When I get it back it goes in for paint, while that is being done I will have the seats worked on.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Al, good to see you making progress on your Clipper. Keep us in the loop and how about a few pictures in the process!

I think I have seen Don poke his head in here and look around the website. Hopefully we can get his to share some of his experience with the us in the Forums in the near future.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 14:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Will do as soon as I can put some together.....

Posted on: 2008/2/12 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Just a little more info. All of the brakes work. Had to put a new starter in but I had a rebuilt one in the parts stash from "Packard Nest". Had the mechanic run wires to the leveler motor and to a switch and the car is now level.

I know I know its time to take pictures. Will try to get to it this week.

Hey how about that I entered them in and they came out. The pictures are a bit grainy, but that is my cameras fault.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.61 KB)
430_47ecf9cea38f8.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (57.97 KB)
430_47ecf9f5e8681.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (58.12 KB)
430_47ecfa0f849fa.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (43.75 KB)
430_47ecfa23196f5.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (45.50 KB)
430_47ecfa38963a2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/25 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
pictures are posted in the previous reply

Posted on: 2008/3/28 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Al. On the firewall at about the same level as the rear carb there is what appears to be a rather shiny looking tank. What is that???

More imprtantly, what kind of windshield wiper motor set-up does it have?????? It does not appear to be the stock vacuum set up.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I think that is just sun reflecting on the firewall. It currently does not have a wiper motor in it, I am going to pirate the one that is on the 56 400 disastermobile that I am parting.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved