Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 50

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Aero Record
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Here is a link I posted last March to Smithsonian Air and Flight on the Packard Aero-Diesel

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancont ... ight/text/SAOF-0001.2.txt

Posted on: 2011/5/7 12:23
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I can't imagine the electrical ignition of a gas radial engine (even true dual ignition) would weigh anymore than the FI system for the diesel not to mention any weight of a blower if its a 2 stroke diesel. Then there is the enormous extra weight required for internal diesel parts such as crank and rods to take the 16:1 to 20:1 conpression...

I don't think the primary concern was about weight trade-off, but rather increased reliability. No spark ignition system, no spark ignition system to service, maintain, repair, or break. Packard's attempt to simplify an aircraft engine.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/7 18:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Additional detailed information on the The Packard radial diesel engine.

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontributions/AnnalsofFlight/pdf_hi/SAOF-0001.2.pdf

Posted on: 2011/5/8 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

portlandon wrote:
Some of us were not aware of Packard's history of aviation diesel technology.

Thanks, Don. It's fun to pass this stuff around!

The record is an important milestone, not just for diesel powered craft (a pretty small minority) but for any type of single engine aircraft.

The Packard diesel was fitted in a Bellanca J2 that set a world's record for a non-refueling airplane flight, May 25-28, 1931, of 84 hours and 33 minutes, a distance of about 6600 miles. The record stood until 1986 when the twin engine Rutan Voyager flew for 216 hours, 3 minutes, 44 seconds.

Yet Packard held the record for sustained flight of a single engine equipped aircraft until 2006, when the GlobalFlyer flew nonstop airplane flight around the world in a time of 67 hours 1 minute from February 28, 2005 until March 3, 2005. The flight speed of 590.7 km/h (342.2 mph) broke the Absolute World Record for the fastest nonstop unrefueled circumnavigation. It was also a solo flight, setting another record.

But when you look at the new endurance record holders versus the Bellanca, you just have to laugh that the Packard Diesel is still in THIRD PLACE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_endurance_record

Here's a nice little bio of Walter Lees, pilot on the Bellanca Packard Diesel flight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Edwin_Lees

He made the flight with fellow aviator Frederick Brossy.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 23:57
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
'Ere is a pict of one o' them li'l boats with a quad o' Packard marine engines 'at set a few water speed records as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (168.94 KB)
917_4dd1a9b52229e.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/5/16 17:49
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Someone was nice enough to post this article in its original text. Thought I'd give it a bump.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=11219&cid=89

Posted on: 2011/6/1 22:43
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
John (JW), 2011/5/6:
...The attractiveness of Diesel engines for aircraft is their elimination of a spark ignition system. This greatly simplifies the design. A problem with Diesel fuel is that it solidifies at cold temperatures that occur at cruising altitudes. To overcome this, a fuel heating system needs to incorporated adding a complicating factor to using this type of engine. Next?

Dave (O_D), 2011/5/6:
JW, you've pretty much nailed it on the head, not a lot more to say...

I will try it nevertheless. In 1931 the Packard Diesel Aero engine was awarded as "the greatest achievement in aeronautics in America"!

COLLIER TROPHY AWARDED TO PACKARD MOTOR CAR CO.

On March 31, 1931, President Hoover presented the Packard Motor Car Company the 1931 Robert J. Collier Trophy, America's highest aviation award, for its developement of the diesel engine. Alvan Macauley, President of the Packard Motor Car Company, accepted the trophy. "We do not claim, Mr. President, that we have reached the final developement, even though our diesel aircraft engine is an accomplished fact and we have the pioneer's joy of knowing that we have successfully accomplished what had never been done before...."

Other laureates:

Glenn H. Curtiss
Orville Wright
Charles E. Yeager

Click to see original Image in a new window

[source:http://home.earthlink.net/~ralphcooper/pimage60.htm]

Posted on: 2012/2/9 20:25
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Just a point of interest a modern F/A18 Naval aircraft is fueled by essentially diesel fuel with some additives to keep it from icing ect. I have known several people who put it in their modern diesel trucks with no issues.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 21:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
I wonder what happened to the trophy

Posted on: 2012/2/12 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
john meehan wrote:I wonder what happened to the trophy

According to Wikipedia, the trophy is on permanent display at the U.S. National Air and Space Museum.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 22:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved