Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard- weak brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hi I own a 1955 model 400 and over the last couple of years driving it I have noticed the power brakes seems to lack the power they should have. I recently had new hoses put on the car and I had the brake system checked and bled by my regular mechanic-(I live alone and it takes two people to do the job properly). although the braking power improved its still not where I am comfortable with it. Im afraid some idiot in my town will panic stop and i will be unable to stop the car in time-the car WILL stop it just doesn't seem to have the power to stop rapidly. Of course I suspect the Bendix treadle vac (who doesn't)anyone have any advice?

Posted on: 2011/5/29 20:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard- weak brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
By the way i bought the rebuilt master cylinder from Chirco Auto approx 2 years ago.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 20:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard- weak brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Start the motor, run for 30 sec, turn off. Then depress the brake pedal, you should hear the sound of air "hissing " a bit under the hood. Do it several times and see if the pedal gets harder to depress. This is checking that there is vacuum and the power brake unit is functioning. If not, then the problem is most likely in the unit.

Next most likely are the wheel cylinders. If the car was ever sitting unused for many years the cylinders may be rusted/frozen inside. The power of the brake unit is not sufficient to apply the wheel brakes. Take to a mechanic to diagnose

Posted on: 2011/5/29 21:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved