Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

acolds, Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Checking transmission fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I guess it depends on how big you are, more in circumference than height, and how flexible you are but I am 56, about 5'9, about 140 lbs., and I can still get up and under to that dipstick, so it might be worth a try. You have a lot more ground clearance with Packards than you do with cars nowadays. I now add fluid through the hole in the transmission hump in the passenger compartment. I have found that if you remove the metal mesh filter at the top of the hole with tweezers, the ATF will go in much faster. Of course, I don't have old carpet to worry about.
Ken

Posted on: 2011/6/5 14:01
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I didn't have any mesh in my filler tube. If you put a funnel with a little bit of heater hose on the tip, down from the firewall by the starter (use plastic so you don't short the starter to the car ground), it will hold it then you can go under and use your arm and hand to tuck the hose in the filler neck. Then fill from the top. Reach under, remove the hose, check fluid level, repeat until full. Done it several times, even on the side of the road with a hot car (ouch) when i was losing lots of fluid before the rebuild. Didn't even need ramps, etc, but they would have been nice.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Okay all, jack stands it will be! I do not want to damage the original carpet/ mat which is still very nice, nor do I want to mess up the recent redo of the ultra/ torque converter!

Owen, I do know that Type A is still available. In fact there is an old mom and Pop grocery store in Victoria, Texas which has it! It is called "Ring Seal, ATF Type A" made by Industrial Lubricants 434 Riverside Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78210. I am going to wait before adding anything until I speak with the transmission rebuilder, seems to me he said he used Momma's something when he rebuilt it!!?? The two might not mix, so I will wait.

If anyone needs the Type A, I'd be happy to buy it and ship it to them if it s hard to find. It runs about 1.90 a quart.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Haven't tried it myself yet but I saw this tip on Stacey David's Gearz... Fill an enema bottle with trans fluid. It should have a clip on the hose which you can adjust for open/close and probably slide up and down. Hang the bottle under the hood or nearby and allow gravity to do it's work.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 21:40
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Well that was my good laugh for the weekend!! In fact I am still laughing!! I am sure that would work, but wouldn't you hate to be the next user of that bag!! NO thanks!!

Posted on: 2011/6/5 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I do it the same way cortcomp does, plastic funnel, tubing, and fill using the dipstick port. I have someone pour 1/2 pint at a time into the funnel from the engine compartment while I monitor the dipstick under the car between pours... repeat till full. I do this quite often.
I use jack stands.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 22:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi Guys:

My Pacific leaks slightly from the throttle & selector shaft seals. The leak appears more pronounced when the car is not running and layed up. I assume this is due to the Converter draining back into the pan. Raising the oil level above those seals. So once a year I'll need to get under there and check the oil. Usually needs a quart or two.

I basically do it JD's way. But I jack it up on one side, using a jack stand. High enough to get the old bones under there.

This is where the problem starts. The old bones are getting harder and harder to get under there. Has anyone thought of retro fitting a Gear Start filler tube to their Ultramatic.

Once I get the transmission resealed, this will be a no brainer. but in the mean time I'll need to crawl under there. And keep a drip pan under the car.

Finally, concerning those seals: What's the procedure for replacing them with the transmission in the car? I think I read it somewhere, but can't find it.

Just a thought Thanks

Posted on: 2011/9/13 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Interesting discussion, but I think it would be better served if moved to the Post War section. Kev, what do you think?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/9/13 11:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW - Agreed and done.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 12:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has anyone thought of retro fitting a Gear Start filler tube to their Ultramatic.

I think finding a gear start pan and dipstick assy might not be the easiest or cheapest thing since they had such limited production. Not sure the assy would fit well on an earler unit either--I think the pan depths are a bit different. Might also be nice to keep those units intact for someone else who might need a complete one.

Wonder about adapting a replacement GM setup into our existing opening. GM used a bushing as their oil seal and insertion point so theirs probably wouldn't fit us but I'd bet something could be fabricated that would adapt their tube/dipstick into our opening. Might have to bend the tube a bit and then make a top mount and new markings but probably could be made to clear everything and even work. Nice thing is it would be totally reversible. This complete GM setup shown is available at Napa for a little over $30.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.63 KB)
209_4e6faddab19dc.jpg 413X673 px

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved