Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 145

Out Islander, kevinpackard, wjames, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

1940 front door window mechanism
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The clueless forge on.

I seem to be getting close on re-installing the front windows. BUT I can't figure out how the arms connect. In the parts book they connect at the large hole on the main arm, but I don't have or recognize what the parts that hold the two arms together.

Also not sure if the arms are arranged correctly.

The bottom of the small arm rides in a horizontal guide inside the door.

On the small arm there's a round hole and a short slot.

Unless the part is simple, something generic, I can't imagine tossing it.

If you can put me out of my misery, please do.
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (78.03 KB)
1067_4debe061bfdcf.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/5 15:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 front door window mechanism
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I haven't taken mine apart yet, so I'm of no help on this one. I will be as soon as I can, as I need to replace all my glass.
Interesting that you have push-out vent windows. I wish I did. The gears in the roll-out windows tend to fall apart.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 16:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 front door window mechanism
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, West. I talked to Jim about it and my friend Vaughn, who came by last night and took a look.

He thinks there's a bushing of some kind that rides in the big hole in the primary arm.

The screw hole in the secondary arm is for a screw to hold the bushing in place, perhaps with a washer, too, allowing the arms to move with a scissor action.

I just don't know what I'm looking for. Jim thinks the other hole in the secondary arm, the slotted hole, is for a second screw and the slot allows for adjustment to keep the window from binding.Almost every hole in the door is slotted for that purpose, so I think that's right.

This is a real roadblock at this point. I'll have to take the front doors to the upholsterer so they can cover the door panels without windows and take them back to attached the door panels after I get the windows in.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.59 KB)
1067_4def80d65a6a3.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (84.57 KB)
1067_4def80e436b56.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/8 9:01
 Top  Print   

Help, help, help. 1940 front door window mechanism
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm really stuck on this. If no one knows what goes into that junction, are there any guesses? Or other resources I can check? Would be much appreciated since it's one of those niggling details that is holding up a lot of assembly on the front doors. Thank you for suggestions.
Joe

Posted on: 2011/6/17 12:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Help, help, help. 1940 front door window mechanism
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The basic mechanism looks very much like the Clipper setup and that has a pin and spring arrangement joining the two. Any chance it is similar but has a different spring and the plate enclosure holding the parts together instead of the pin. If not enough room for a spring, what about just the round plate shown in the parts illustration sandwiching the other arm in position via bolts and spacers.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.61 KB)
209_4dfb96ae5eb1b.jpg 586X626 px

Posted on: 2011/6/17 13:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rereading your post 3, I think your friend may be right about a shouldered bushing or plate. Any sign of a wear pattern around the circumference of the large hole which would indicate a diameter of something like that.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 13:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Howard.
The spring on mine in the photo and drawing is on the crank part (in the left side of the photo). There isn't any catch for the spring on the arm, so I think it must be different and hopefully simpler. I do have an extra set of pins I could use that were made to the wrong specs, my boo-boo, if a spring actually goes there.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'll look for wear, but of course, I cleaned up and painted these in 1990. And they are at home, so I'll inspect tonight. Thanks for help.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 13:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Did you look on the inside of the inner door panel for a trough welded in place that would hold the one end of the door mechanism and allow a pin on the scissor mechanism to ride in this trough? Use a small hand mirror to inspect the inner side of this panel.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
O yes, Randy. There's a guide against the inside of the door for the lower end of the secondary arm. I'm trying to figure out what connects the 2 arms at the cross of the scissors. Could be 2 disks, one on top of the crossing and one below, held together by 2 screws and nuts. Probably a bushing so the disks would move easily as it scissored when the window was cranked up or down.
I do appreciate you input and thinking about this.
Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2011/6/17 23:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved