Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 72

37Blanche, Packard Don, Packard Lover, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

29 standard 8 valve setting cold and compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I saw in the packard manual the valve setting should be done hot but with the exhaust manifold there its hard to work on. I was wondering what should the setting be cold. also what is exceptable compression for the engine. thanks for any help

Posted on: 2011/6/12 12:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 standard 8 valve setting cold and compression
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just off the top of my head, the compression, all plugs removed, choke and throttle wide open, after 3 compression strokes should probably be about 85 psi.

I know it's more than a bit of a pain, but for best results I'd suggest trying to adjust the valves hot and running. I never look forward to it but have managed it a number of times. If not, there are some classic "rules of thumb" for correcting valve clearances when doing them cold, but if you go that route, don't forget to factor into the rule of thumb that you have considerably longer valve stems than typical flathead engines that don't employ the roller cam followers.

EDIT - Compression specs for 6th-7th series Eights are 84-87 psi.

Posted on: 2011/6/12 12:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 standard 8 valve setting cold and compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
29tons,

IMHO hot adjustment is the best method.

An easier way is not to try doing this with the engine hot and running, but with the engine hot and stopped.

The attachment is a procedure I ran across.

Regards,

Dave

Attach file:

pdf Size: 100.62 KB; Hits: 57

Posted on: 2011/6/12 17:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved