Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 30 »

Re: Eric's 1925 Packard Speedster Project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of us older geezers & cranks might remember a 4 letter word made famous by Maynard G. Krebs. "WORK". My hats off to you and hope to follow the progress.

Posted on: 2008/3/23 11:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Eric's 1925 Packard Barchetta Speedster Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, I look at it this way, I've always wanted a '20s Packard, I can't afford a real one, so I rely on the advice that my father gave me years ago, "If you want it, make it!". Seems like good advice to me, I just wish I actually had a Packard chassis and cowl to start with. (to make it more "Packard", instead of being a "conglomeration of parts")

Posted on: 2008/3/23 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And now for the latest: Yesterday, the guy who delivers our $80,000 furniture at work brought me a nice surprise, a piece of burl walnut veneer for use on my dash. Also, I have a pic of the leather I plan on using, I have a whole bag of the leather, enough to do the seats and then some:

Attach file:

jpg  (60.30 KB)
34_47ecbe8702744.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (54.49 KB)
34_47ecbea56bd41.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (103.75 KB)
34_47ecbebd4ece9.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/28 4:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well today was a total pan out day, I went to an auction in Lincoln, Ks, and ended up with this (underneath all the crap is a cherry 1937 Packard 115 chassis, complete including the brake and clutch pedals!!! Price: FREE:

Attach file:

jpg  (70.35 KB)
34_47f9c3be3a023.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (68.79 KB)
34_47f9c3d20e4cf.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (65.63 KB)
34_47f9c3e67036c.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 1:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
AND, to top it all off, between the chassis and the crap was THIS: (Price, ALSO FREE!!!)

Attach file:

jpg  (54.08 KB)
34_47f9c4c64be87.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 1:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
So now, I have a Packard chassis, complete from bumper to bumper, and a floor shift Packard trans to rob the top off for my later model Packard O/D trans. The reason why all this was free is because the guy who bought it all was a junker, and knew my father and I for years, and decided that since I wanted it, I could have it. So, another Packard chassis saved from the crusher!! The body was there too, but I walked past it several times, not even noticing what it was, and it sold for $30. This is the cheapest stuff there, everything else was bringing 4 figure and up prices. All in all, I think it's been a damn good day!! And to top it all off, the real nice thing is that the '25 Speedster project will be all Packard now, chassis-wise. The body's still going to have to be custom made, but so were a lot of other Packards in the '20s and '30s, so I don't feel too bad about that.

I also ended up buying a 1928 Essex body, full of junk metal, for $15. Inside the Essex body were two absolutely perfect "bucket" style seat frames for the Speedster project, along with a nice e-brake handle to hang on the outside of the chassis. I gave the Essex body to a buddy of mine who's going to store the Packard chassis and the rest of the stuff until I get a house with a garage, and also deliver it 120 miles to here in Wichita for me. I really do feel like I made out like a bandit today!

Posted on: 2008/4/7 1:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Eric, Congratulations on your windfall, I have still to send you some data on changing the 37 top to suit the R6/ R9 set-up, however yesterday I modified and took pictures which i should talk to Mal about how to post them, on one of my previous R6 floorchange conversions so that it now locks out of overdrive when you select reverse ( stopped of course), as per the original R6/ R9 overdrive. One of my party tricks with the unmodified trans was to select any gear including reverse at any speed under 20mph, without the clutch and without any complaints from the gearbox. It used to freak a few people out but was quite harmless, now it is not harmless at all, but is less strain on the pull cable. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/4/7 2:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Eric,

Your luck's in again, congratulations. Always knew there was a floor shift out there somewhere, but didn't expect a chassis as well! A question though, about the front end, are you still going with a "straight" axle? A '25 speedster wouldn't have the coil spring front end the '37 has. Have one for me as I'm sure you'll be celebrating.

And Peter,

Give me a call any night and we can walk through the picture part.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 5:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it.
Peter: Yes, please send me the info on modifying the trans, as I can sure use it now.

Mal, actually, I was looking at the independent front end of the 115 chassis and decided that it'll stay, coil springs and all. Remember, Packard's Racing Development Team's were on the cutting edge of technology, even back in '25. Where do you think the ideas come from for the production cars???

Posted on: 2008/4/7 13:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I also think it will be modification enough to squeeze the 327 in there, as the "X" member needs to be modified for the extra length of the straight eight, but it's completely doable. I don't think I'll be using the bumpers, however. I do like the short wheelbase of the chassis, and I think it's a lot better option than the Hudson one I planned on using before. (That and the fact that it's a Packard chassis just makes it that much better!)

Posted on: 2008/4/7 13:43
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 30 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved