Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

Mechagon, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard-powered Navy Ocean Minesweepers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, interesting how photos get around and information changes. That photo you posted from cox.net appears to be the same one that Mr. Neal published in his book, and claims is from his personal collection. However the caption has been altered - the original caption states that it's the 900 hp version of the 1700 (2D-1700) of which only one was ever built.

Mal, thanks for digging up that video - most interesting. Made me remember the loss of the Windjammer Cruises' Fantome in the Caribbean in Hurricane Mitch. A good book on it is around, but Google Fantome is you're curious - sad story.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 8:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Found this video on YouTube, just after the 8 minute mark there is some footage of MSO 433 USS Engage.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 5:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

To quote a sailor: "We had FOUR of these babies on the Constant, and they were treated like GOLD!"

Kev, it looks like mainstream disc filters, so it will become pretty difficult to check the paper end caps.
Dave, it is the scholarliness of my interests which leads me to the question if you could show us a pic of a rear navy ash tray?

[source:http://www.members.cox.net/ic2ddg36/constant2.htm]

Posted on: 2011/6/25 2:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wonder what oil filters they used??

(sorry couldn't resist)

Posted on: 2011/6/24 23:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Roger - I've read quite a bit about them but the only photos I've seen are those in the Neal book. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some good photos when you have the opporunity.

I've been trying to find the timeframe when the Waukashau diesels replaced the original Packard powerplants but thus far haven't been able to pin that down. The USS Affray (MSO 511) was the last one built that was equipped with Packard engines and still was running with the Packard powerplants in 1981, but that's the only data I've managed to find thus far.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello OD:

One of those engines resides at the Packard Proving Grounds inside the Lodge Garage. It is NOS, including the wood shipping crate it came in.

I will have to get a photo of it the next time I am out there.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:08
 Top  Print   

Packard-powered Navy Ocean Minesweepers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd think that most well-read Packard fans are aware of the fact that Packard built non-magnetic (aluminum, stainless, bronze, etc.) V-8, V-12 and V-16 turbocharged diesel engines between 1952 and 1956 for US Navy use in ocean minesweepers (MSOs) and that these were in service and use as late at the first Persian Gulf war.

Curiousity got the best of me today and I decided to see when the very last of these were finally removed from service and scrapped.

MSO 427 USS Constant - scrapped 2001
MSO 432 USS Dynamic - scrapped 1998
MSO 433 USS Engage - scrapped 2000
MSO 437 USS Enhance - scrapped 2000
MSO 438 USS Esteem - scrapped 2000
MSO 439 USS Excel - scrapped 2000
MSO 440 USS Exploit - scrapped 2000
MSO 441 USS Exultant scrapped 2000
MSO 446 USS Fortify - scrapped 2000
MSO 449 USS Impervious - scrapped 2000

A bit more info can be found athttp://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=478&p=4782#p4782 and you can use the NavSource link on that site to find more information if you are so inclined.

Neat little bit of Packard history, especially that Packard-powered US Navy vessels were in service until so recently (though Waukesha diesels did replace the original Packard diesels at some point).

Posted on: 2011/6/24 10:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved