Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

radiator woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 288 radiator was not up to snuff prior to the engine rebuild. I used the guts of a 327 to make it into a 340, thanks to boring out the cylinders. So now the engine gets hot after about 25 minutes of highway driving in 85 degree temp. By hot, it is starting to boil over. I had the 327 radiator, which is thicker than the 288 version, but it had been dry for many years and has dry rotted. The local radiator shop says that they can put a new core in using the old tanks for $495. The thermostat is a new one.

Any suggestions that might be less money? I may just have to bite the bullet and do this, but I thought I'd ask first.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 19:18
 Top  Print   

Re: radiator woes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are speaking of the 51, I believe $400-600 was the range others have paid for having their similar models recored in the last couple of years. I think that's probably about the only correct option unless a used or better radiator comes along. Chances are that any used one will need work as well.

There was discussion on replacing 55-6 radiators with relatively inexpensive common Ford truck units.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=54085#forumpost54085 I'm not sure a definitive decision was made whether they will fit the earlier 51-4 cars.

Maybe not the best option and with the needed brackets and use of a different hose, wouldn't be stock looking if that's a concern. Your radiator guy might be able to find something close in size if you wanted to go that route.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 19:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, I had the radiator core of my '47 Custom Clipper replaced. I went with a 7-row staggered core. It cost me about $1k to have it done but provided significant cooling increase compared to the 3-row stock core. I would recommend that you get the best re-core you can afford. Nothing worse than an overheating engine. No fun.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/11 21:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Recore always brings up the issue of tank condition. Most POST war tanks are very thin metal. My first effort would be to find a modern retro fit even if it involves some special fabrication of mounts or brackets.

But with the way that prices are changing so fast i'm not sure a modern radiator would be any cheaper or not. Just have to reseach it.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 22:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Well, I got the radiator back today. I gave them the 327 radiator tank top and bottom, as the core was shot from being dry for 20+ years. I had them put a slightly thicker core in - it is about 1/4" thicker than the stock 327 radiator. It cools nicely, with the gauge going to 3/4 and staying there, even at the 100 degree day we're having. So now I have a surplus 288 radiator that needs a good cleaning. If anyone wants it, $75 plus shipping will get it. It just couldn't keep up with the bored out 327 with the street cam. Thanks for the advice.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm glad your overheating problems are in the past now ;0)

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/18 22:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
If you still have the radiator for sale, I'm interested.
Mike Burkhart
Dodge City, KS
mburk@fairpoint.net

Posted on: 2014/4/18 15:46
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mike Burkhart,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 18:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
I tried that with my 1941 4198L Landaulet Funeral Coach, and it wouldn't take it. Also in the model choices, I couldn't choose that model as it was not an option.
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2014/4/18 18:26
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Mike, sorry the radiator has gone to the recycle bin. I'd go the Brassworks site - they are in Paso Robles CA and can make you a top notch radiator.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 18:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved